21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: making my own nut butters without oil
Created on: 03/24/13 04:30 AM Views: 1937 Replies: 7
making my own nut butters without oil
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Many of you long-time vegans have helped educate me about oils and how we really don't need them in our diet. Does this include canola, olive and coconut oils even though they are generally thought to be heart-healthy?

I've been experimenting with making nut butters and usually the home-made kinds call for 2 Tbsp. of olive oil or canola...what could I substitute for that? Also when making it in the blender, it often comes out more liquidy or pudding-ish than I'd like (I'm wanting it to turn out more like a spread I could use, like for toast or biscuits.)

Also, curious to know, is it myth largely...that nuts are bad because of all the fat? This makes me nervous...I tend to gain a lot of fat especially in mmy abdomen area but maybe this was more because of all the processed cakes and junk I was eating before.

What in your opinion are the healthiest tree nuts?
( cashews, allmonds, um...coconut?)

RE: making my own nut butters without oil
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I've never tried making nut butters at home. I bought some peanut butter from Harry's - the kind that you grind right there in the store. I was surprised that it was more like a pudding vs the spread. I still used it for PB&J though. I'm anxious to see the replies you receive.

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We used to make peanut butter back in the late '80s-early '90s. We used a (I think) Salton nut grinder, actually shelling the nuts and all. Never added any oils at all since the nuts supplied plenty. As you grind, the heat makes for a very smooth product.
Keeping the finished product in the refrigerator stops the oil from separating from the nut paste. I really don't understand the need to add any other oil. Hope this helps!

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

There is no need to add oil to nut butters, nuts have plenty of natural oil. If you store it at room temperature the oil will separate and float to the top of the container. You have to stir it to reincorporate it. If you want to make your nut butter low-fat, pour out that oil that accumulated at the top and replace it with water.

If you store it in the refrigerator it will prevent the oil from separating, but it will also make the peanut butter really stiff and hard to spread.

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

We have been storing natural peanut butter in the refrigerator for years. I never had a problem spreading it, nor the kids.
Wink

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

cloudschange wrote:

We have been storing natural peanut butter in the refrigerator for years. I never had a problem spreading it, nor the kids.
Wink
I must keep my fridge colder than you. Wink

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

It also occurred to me that you might have poured off some of the oil? That has made a stiff spread- we didn't replace the oil with water.

Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Yep, that's probably true too. Less fat would make it stiffer.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 701 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org