21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: My new pig out food; what's yours?
Created on: 01/08/14 04:58 PM Views: 2190 Replies: 12
My new pig out food; what's yours?
Posted Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

This is how I know I can do this, and longer term than I ever thought. I just found the first recipe that is SO easy SO YUMMY and I'm currently dipping cucumber "chips" and celery slices in it - as if I were eating chips and dip.

My life is NEVER going to be the same! hahaha

I am going to make bean spreads a huge part of my life...

White Bean Red Pepper "hummus"

In food processor:
1 can drained white beans (15 oz?)
1 or 2 roasted red bell peppers (in water from a jar)
large clove garlic
1 T tahini
juice of a lemon
small handful of cilantro

Blend. EAT!

What are your new favorite munchie foods?? Tell me everything! Laughing

~ Sapphire

RE: My new pig out food; what's yours?
Posted Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Yum - that sounds delicious!!

Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I have become addicted to kale chips. I am considering buying a dehydrator because I hear the "chips" are even more delicious than just roasting them in the oven. I've used nutritional yeast, a titch of sea salt, garlic powder and cayenne on them and they are tres delicieux.

Is it possible to eat too much kale?

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Mariberry wrote:

I have become addicted to kale chips. I am considering buying a dehydrator because I hear the "chips" are even more delicious than just roasting them in the oven. I've used nutritional yeast, a titch of sea salt, garlic powder and cayenne on them and they are tres delicieux.

Is it possible to eat too much kale?

I'm not sure if one can eat too much, but thanks for mentioning it! I'll look for them... This whole snacking on veggies is not something I'd ever think I'd look forward to! LOL Do you make them yourself?

Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

My favorite food these days is salad with homemade miso dressing. I make a huge salad for dinner so I have some leftover for a snack and lunch the next day. I have heard that you crave what you eat and believe it. During the holidays I got a little off track indulging in candy, which kept coming from everyone. I started craving sweets. Since I finally put a stop to it, and eating more veggies for snacks, I'm craving them again. My sister-in-law mailed a package yesterday with pralines. Great. I'll have one but the rest of the family can have the rest of it. She makes great pralines and always mails them out after the first of the year, bless her heart. Smile

Posted Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Sapphire wrote:

Do you make them yourself?

HI Sapphire - yes, I do make them myself. It's very simple to do. Just wash (organic) kale, trim the "spine" away, tear into pieces and in a bowl sprinkle a very small amount of olive oil (and less is more otherwise they will not be as crisp)over top (to help the seasonings "stick"), sprinkle on seasonings of choice (sea salt, cayenne, nutritional yeast etc.), mix with your hands, dump onto a cookie sheet and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. The edges might get a titch brown but that's ok. I let them cool completely (nibbling a few just to "test" them Smile) before putting in a storage container (not that they will stay there for long). I take some to work for a snack, eat them while dinner is cooking...can't get enough.

I've heard a dehydrator makes even nicer "chips" and I'm considering that route, although it takes longer, and being an impatient kale chip addict I'm not sure I can wait... Smile Enjoy!

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM

deborahjm wrote:

My favorite food these days is salad with homemade miso dressing. I make a huge salad for dinner so I have some leftover for a snack and lunch the next day. I have heard that you crave what you eat and believe it. During the holidays I got a little off track indulging in candy, which kept coming from everyone. I started craving sweets. Since I finally put a stop to it, and eating more veggies for snacks, I'm craving them again. My sister-in-law mailed a package yesterday with pralines. Great. I'll have one but the rest of the family can have the rest of it. She makes great pralines and always mails them out after the first of the year, bless her heart. Smile

I'd love to hear your recipe for the dressing! A good one really "makes" the salad. Very Happy

And Mariberry thanks for your recipe! It's on the list to try this week! I'm excited...

Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I recently discovered Fava Beans. They're so much tastier and heartier than other beans.

"The greatest wealth is health" - Virgil

Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I recently discovered Fava Beans. They're so much tastier than other beans.

"The greatest wealth is health" - Virgil

Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Whilst I don't eat a lot of nuts I've found that just an ounce or so of walnut butter can transform your average pasta sauce into a rather naughty-tasting paddy of creamy goodness.

Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I've been enjoying roasted sweet potato wedges lately. They're a super-easy and fast snack to make when I get home from work, and very filling.

Posted Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

From the 21 day kickstart a couple years ago, I learned the beauty of popcorn with nutritional yeast. Now I have learned from a co-worker one additional ingredient to make it even better: coconut oil to pop it in!! I put a little coconut oil in the bottom of my microwave popper, add the popcorn seeds, microwave til they are all popped and sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and a little cayenne! Sweet, cheesy, spicy, delicious!!!

Posted Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

@karajake - that sounds amazing!!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 292 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org