21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: BP & Cholesterol
Created on: 04/10/12 04:14 PM Views: 4375 Replies: 11
BP & Cholesterol
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

My sister has been on 21 Kickstart and eating Vegan since November. Her bloodwork is still the same as it was before. Is it possible that if it is hereditary, there is no diet that will help her and she will have to go on meds?

RE: BP & Cholesterol
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It would be very unusual for diet not to influence any blood work, but it is possible. I would encourage her to take a close look at the types of foods she is consuming. Vegan is great, but fats and processed foods play a huge role as well.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I am just curious--has she lost weight since November?

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I think it is possible. I have lost over 100 lbs in the last 5 years ( I still have much to lose), reduced my processed/high fat foods drastically and have been mostly vegan for over 18 months but still have high BP and have seen only minor lowering of those numbers. I should mention that the maternal side of my family have a history of severe hyper-tension and the resultant debilitating strokes by late middle age. I have been on bp meds since my early twenties. That being said I believe if I had NOT taken the steps of working on weight-loss and a plant-based diet I would likely be suffering from much more severe hypertension and would likely have seen a increase in my meds rather than a consistent dosage.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

They told my husband that his high cholestoral was hereditary. When he had his stroke he did begin taking statin (I think it was) drugs and the doctor said that if he hadn't been on a vegan for all these years his stroke would have been a lot worse - without his way of eating he would have been a lot sicker a lot sooner.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Yes, my sister has lost 15 pounds in the first 21+ days but has stayed there ever since. Her main reason for doing this program was to get her bp and cholesterol numbers down. It's hard for her to stay motivated when no changes are happening. January's 21 she did eat a few processed foods, not many. April's 21 she has eliminated ALL processed foods. Hopefully, this will lower her numbers. Thanks for your input.

Yes, my sister has lost 15 pounds in the first 21+ days but has stayed there ever since. Her main reason for doing this program was to get her bp and cholesterol numbers down. It's hard for her to stay motivated when no changes are happening. January's 21 she did eat a few processed foods, not many. April's 21 she has eliminated ALL processed foods. Hopefully, this will lower her numbers. Thanks for your input.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Sorry about the multiple posts. Sad

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Well, my sister stayed on the April 21 religiously with no processed foods and her cholestrol went even higher. We've lost her as a vegan.

Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

That's a shame. If she truly ate a 10% fat, vegan diet and her blood pressure and cholesterol did not drop, NOT eating this way will only prove worse I'm afraid.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 306 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org