21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: KickStart with fussy children
Created on: 07/02/13 01:18 AM Views: 1307 Replies: 7
KickStart with fussy children
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the kicstart and who also has fussy eaters at home. Shocked I want this to be a whole family affair. Do you have any favourite recipes / tips? Is there someplace I can find some?

Thank you Very Happy

RE: KickStart with fussy children
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM

lillismama wrote:

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the kickstart and who also has fussy eaters at home. Shocked I want this to be a whole family affair. Do you have any favourite recipes / tips? Is there someplace I can find some?

Thank you Very Happy

Tip: Mix'n'match meals - take your favorite meals, separate out the parts (meat, veg, grain, etc.) so that you can leave out the meat and add in beans/lentils/etc. but others can add meat/dairy if they so choose. That way, the rest of the family has the choice (you can't force anyone to change but you can make vegan eating attractive). And, at the same time, it will cut down on how much meat they are eating if it's served more as a 'side dish' than as the center of the plate.

What are some of their favorite meals? That's where you start - look for ways to modify favorites to make yummy versions that are vegan.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Thank you very much Deb for your ideas.

We are predominantly vegetarian, eating meat just now and then, we do however eat a lot of white pasta, breads, dairy and eggs. My husband and I both work full time and so I only want to cook 1 meal that will work for all of us. My husband is on board, but he will want the food to be delicious, and I really want my daughter to be eating what we do. Problem is, if recipes get too adult tasting (spicy etc) or different, I will have problems. Just wondering how other families are coping with the recipes that Kickstart has.

We'll see how it goes. Smile

Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Folks cope by adjusting the spices. There are people doing the kickstart that are gluten free, people who have GERD issues, people with allergies to various things, and you just adjust the recipes to what fits.

Bread and pasta are not totally out, but look for whole grain versions (the word "whole" should be the first thing in the ingredients followed by whatever grain it is - like "whole wheat" or "whole spelt" or whatever). And, too, they are more of a 'side' than the main dish. Check out the information on the Power Plate http://www.pcrm.org/health/powerplate/index.html - basically, you quarter your plate into fruit, legumes, grains, and veggies. So, instead of a big plate of pasta with maybe some tomato sauce, you'd have pasta with white beans and spinach, with a faux alfredo or tomato sauce (whatever you like). One bonus of the whole thing is that adding the beans and spinach to the mix stretches the pasta further - and beans are inexpensive (way cheaper per pound than the meat they're replacing).

--DebR

Edited 07/02/13 11:32 AM
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Thanks again for the good advice Deb Smile

Posted Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

www.drmcdougall.com has a newsletter that has recipes in it. Several are kid friendly, as Dr. McDougall's grandchildren are on a starch based diet, as are his children. (he doesn't say vegan, he says starch based.) You might find the kid friendly items helpful. Good luck!

Posted Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Thank you spud lover, I will have a look Smile

Posted Sunday, July 14, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Thank you spud lover, I will have a look Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 619 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org