21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: K2
Created on: 08/03/14 11:39 PM Views: 386 Replies: 7
K2
Posted Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I recently read about the importance of taking a K2 supplement when vegan-any information about this? Thanks

RE: K2
Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Are you sure you don't mean B12?

Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM

K2 is, variously, a very tall mountain; synthetic marijuana; or an herbal incense type mixture purported to give a feeling similar to marijuana

None of the above are necessary for a vegan lifestyle Wink

--DebR

Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Hmmmm-I read about it on vegan health.org, an article written by a RD....is this org not a reputable site?

Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM

had to look a bit further - there's the drug K2 and there's the vitamin K2 - which is part of the whole vitamin K family (k1, k2, etc.)

I don't know that it's essential to supplement, the way B12 is. I suppose if you are low in vitamin K, you'd need it, but I can't see any info in the general sites (the ones that are just info, not any particular viewpoint) that indicate it is necessary to supplement - it may help in some cases (they indicate cardiovascular and bone health for example) but it is not something that will cause serious problems if you don't supplement, as B12 can.

--DebR

Posted Monday, August 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

VeganHealth.org is reputable. And on this subject, note it opens with the following statement, "The scientific consensus has been that either of the two types of vitamin K are adequate, especially regarding vitamin K's blood clotting activity."

There is no dietary recommendation for K1 vs. K2. Vitamin K, though, is essential and important but a difficult nutrient to avoid in a healthful diet.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Christl

I think Susan's just being polite here. Most people I know in this movement think the veganhealth guys are shady as all living sheed. I even recall Jeff Nelson tearing them to shreds on VegSource a couple of years ago.

That K2 article is a case in point. On the one hand they refuse to promote Dr Campbell's China Project on the grounds that it didn't study actual vegans. On the other hand they're perfectly happy to promote those K2 studies despite the fact that those studies didn't look at actual vegans any more than the China Project did.

It's the same as when they discount the positive findings from various plant-based doctors' clinical practices on the grounds that those findings are only anecdotal, but they're more than happy to promote Dr Fuhrman's anecdotes about some of his vegan patients getting ill from DHA deficiency.

If you read through it thoroughly you'll find that their website is a schmorgasboard of double standards which, uncannily enough, always seem to work in favour of supplements.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

theodore wrote:

If you read through it thoroughly you'll find that their website is a schmorgasboard of double standards which, uncannily enough, always seem to work in favour of supplements.

And/or junk food.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 203 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org