21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Probiotics
Created on: 07/03/13 02:56 PM Views: 1068 Replies: 5
Probiotics
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This has probably been brought up somewhere along the line,if it has, I am sorry to be repeating it. I know we can get prebiotics from sources like onions and garlic, but where can we get the probiotics? Confused

RE: Probiotics
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

non-dairy yogurts are one option and there are probably others. but, except in situations like taking antibiotics, you're less likely to actually need them with a plant based plan because things tend to sort of smooth out so to speak, you don't have stuff rotting and fermenting in your digestive tract the way meats can.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

True enough. Your gut will make its own probiotics naturally, and the good ones in abundance with your high-fiber, powerful diet!

Non-dairy yogurts are available with the probiotics added (as are the dairy yogurts - probiotics are added at the factory, not naturally concurring).

Some fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchi have probiotics too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

So on a day to day basis, we really have nothing to be concerned about. That's good to know. I am trying to follow the kickstart menu pretty closely. I have not been able to find soy or rice or any kind of yogurt except the dairy one. Also,for miso,what kind do you suggest? All I have been able to find is the brown. Thanks for all your info. Smile

Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

So on a day to day basis, we really have nothing to be concerned about. That's good to know. I am trying to follow the kickstart menu pretty closely. I have not been able to find soy or rice or any kind of yogurt except the dairy one. Also,for miso,what kind do you suggest? All I have been able to find is the brown. Thanks for all your info. Smile

Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I think any miso is fine.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 451 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org