21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: So much success!
Created on: 02/03/13 05:52 PM Views: 3242 Replies: 18
So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My family is still going after our first kickstart. It has been about a month or so now.
My teenaged son has lost more than 15 lbs. My husband has lost maybe ten and can fit in pants he hasn't fit for a year. The dark circles and puffiness around his eyes are gone by half and best of all - he has STOPPED snoring. I have had years of poor sleep quality and anxiety bc he snores and apnea and keeping me awake. A thing of the pastWink I can't believe it.

What's better, is the whole family seems to have had a mood lift.

It's amazing.

If anyone out there doubts the return on the effort this takes - imagine your spouse not snoring - and being ten years younger in mood.

Terri

RE: So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Wonderful news Terri! Keep up the fantastic job!

Jennifer

RE: So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Wow! What a story. I very much appreciate you sharing it with everyone!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thank you! We appreciate the work you are doing. I frequently manage threads for a large online community, and I know it's a ton of work.
Thanks ALL!
I will keep checking in here Wink
Terri

RE: So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I want to add that we were already eating a so-called "healthy" diet.
Lots of fruit and veg every week, very low sugar (except my husband who puts sugar in his coffee) and extremely limited junk food.
The main changes here are the exclusion of meat, dairy and free oils like olive oil. That's it. No other changes have been made.

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Congrats on your improved health and weight loss.
I need some encouragement. I am 10 days in, started a little before Feb 1. Having some lapses but overall doing well.

I am sleeping better, have a bit more energy but I am sort of down as I have only lost 1.3 lbs. in the 10 days.

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

janelosing wrote:

Congrats on your improved health and weight loss.
I need some encouragement. I am 10 days in, started a little before Feb 1. Having some lapses but overall doing well.

I am sleeping better, have a bit more energy but I am sort of down as I have only lost 1.3 lbs. in the 10 days.

That's what happened to me too. My boys had quick weight loss but not me. I have lost though and can see fat disappearing from funny places, like my knees haha Wink
Don't give up! It just takes longer for some people but other amazing things are happening besides weight loss. I focus on thatWink

Terri

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Thanks Terri

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Great job! I was able to maintain my body weight (in the back of my mind I kept fearing that I would gain because I was eating so much more but it was all healthy, low- / no-fat foods) and decrease my percent body fat a bit. If I can keep it up, that percent will slowly decrease every month.
I loved seeing the benefits actually happen, fabulous feeling! Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

batveggie wrote:


That's what happened to me too. My boys had quick weight loss but not me. I have lost though and can see fat disappearing from funny places, like my knees haha Wink
Don't give up! It just takes longer for some people but other amazing things are happening besides weight loss. I focus on thatWink

Terri


The male body tends to be a higher percentage of muscle tissue to fat than female - and muscle burns calories faster. That's why guys can seem to lose weight by breathing and us ladies have to really work hard to show even half the weight loss. It will come off little by little just as it went on little by little.

--DebR

RE: So much success!
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Congratulations! It's so inspiring to hear a story such as yours.

RE: So much success!
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Thank you!
Is anyone else having better skin tone?
By the way the organic frozen cherries from Costco are soooo yummy in oatmeal!
Lani's new book shipped today and I am looking forward to it. I am seriously afraid to exercise because I have been so run down... ( I don't look overweight to most people and am in my forties.) I seem to hurt myself easily. Hoping the vegan food helps me reduce injuries.

RE: So much success!
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM

batveggie wrote:


Is anyone else having better skin tone?

Yes! My skin looks much better since I have been following this lifestyle. I never left the house without makeup before but just wear moisturizer most of the time now. I also have more energy.

RE: So much success!
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Wow that's great!!! This is me too. I normally wear foundation to even out skin tone, but have been surprised to walk by the mirror and realize I hadn't put any on but looked like I had. Cool

RE: So much success!
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM

The ice cream and especially frozen yogurt craze really got the best of me this past summer! I've stopped even going to places like this entirely, like the fro-yo chains, Baskin Robbins, etc.

I don't know WHAT is in these kind of frozen desserts but i swear ice cream in particular broke my skin out so bad. Cutting this out, and having like..90% less cheese, has helped my skin tremendously. =)

RE: So much success!
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My daughter loves the frozen yogurt places. Yogurtland has a sorbet that's dairy free, non GMO and gluten free, which I tried and liked. She said Tutti Fruiti is advertising a soy bean based yogurt, which is also non GMO, gluten free and nonfat. That sounds like a good choice too. Both have fresh fruit toppings.

RE: So much success!
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I need to check out the vegan fro yo.... Sounds very interesting!

RE: So much success!
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

lovekittens wrote:

The ice cream and especially frozen yogurt craze really got the best of me this past summer! I've stopped even going to places like this entirely, like the fro-yo chains, Baskin Robbins, etc.

I don't know WHAT is in these kind of frozen desserts but i swear ice cream in particular broke my skin out so bad. Cutting this out, and having like..90% less cheese, has helped my skin tremendously. =)

It might be soy. My wife has the same issue and is verified soy allergic. She has symptoms besides skin as well. When we focus on foods containing soy and eliminate them, her skin clears up immediately. Soy is phytoestrogenic and she is super sensitive to extra soy. Sadly, the soy lobby and the soy industry have been very very successful in getting soy into most foods we eat from store shelves. Last week, I could not find a can of soup that did not contain soy in some form (soybean oil, soy lecithin, soy protein, soy protein isolate, soy flour, etc.). Eating at restaurants is next to impossible - nearly every bun, bread, tortilla, salad dressing, pizza crust etc.ordered from restaurant supply companies have soy in them. What has happened to our food supply is very sad. This is what drove us to veganism.

As a vegan, I control what I eat. My blood pressure went down from the 150s to normal. My cholesterol dropped 85 points. My blood sugar was always fine but went even lower. Like many other commenters, I haven't seen the weight loss I wanted, but for me that is likely the stress from a very stressful job. I have lost weight - though and hope to lose more. My mood is better, my energy is up, and I am ethically happy with my decision. I congratulate all of you for taking the 21 day kickstart challenge and encourage you to stick with it after the three weeks end.

Russ

RE: So much success!
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

drrussmeier wrote:

lovekittens wrote:
The ice cream and especially frozen yogurt craze really got the best of me this past summer! I've stopped even going to places like this entirely, like the fro-yo chains, Baskin Robbins, etc.

I don't know WHAT is in these kind of frozen desserts but i swear ice cream in particular broke my skin out so bad. Cutting this out, and having like..90% less cheese, has helped my skin tremendously. =)

It might be soy. My wife has the same issue and is verified soy allergic. She has symptoms besides skin as well. When we focus on foods containing soy and eliminate them, her skin clears up immediately. Soy is phytoestrogenic and she is super sensitive to extra soy. Sadly, the soy lobby and the soy industry have been very very successful in getting soy into most foods we eat from store shelves. Last week, I could not find a can of soup that did not contain soy in some form (soybean oil, soy lecithin, soy protein, soy protein isolate, soy flour, etc.). Eating at restaurants is next to impossible - nearly every bun, bread, tortilla, salad dressing, pizza crust etc.ordered from restaurant supply companies have soy in them. What has happened to our food supply is very sad. This is what drove us to veganism.

As a vegan, I control what I eat. My blood pressure went down from the 150s to normal. My cholesterol dropped 85 points. My blood sugar was always fine but went even lower. Like many other commenters, I haven't seen the weight loss I wanted, but for me that is likely the stress from a very stressful job. I have lost weight - though and hope to lose more. My mood is better, my energy is up, and I am ethically happy with my decision. I congratulate all of you for taking the 21 day kickstart challenge and encourage you to stick with it after the three weeks end.

Russ

I have issues with soy (though not allergic clinically) so we avoid or minimize it - including not buying a lot of prepared foods (like soup - which is so easy and inexpensive to just make at home and freeze). BUT we've found that the coconut milk ice creams are yummy (we don't buy soy ice cream, soy milk, soy cheese, tofu, etc) when you just really want that frozen treat. The bonus is that they only come in pints and are quite costly so it really is a treat and it's basically one small serving for each of the three of us and it's gone - so no munching on ice cream every day for a week...

--DebR


New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 219 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: nathaliaaquino

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org