21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Kick started 5k
Created on: 04/27/14 08:47 PM Views: 489 Replies: 4
Kick started 5k
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Hi, I recently have been trying a plant based diet , after initially switching to a vegetarian diet last October. I decided to try really plant based, and lower fat using kickstart. 20 days into the Kickstart, I ran a local 5k race and improved my time by 2 minutes compared to December. I have completed a 13.1 mile race since December but really my training had not been great in the last 2 weeks. I was surprised at improving slightly. I wondered if the reason was possibly the theory if lower blood viscosity on a plant based diet? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

RE: Kick started 5k
Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Sue262 wrote:

I wondered if the reason was possibly the theory of lower blood viscosity on a plant based diet?

I'm happy to go with that theory. A lot of athletes go on a wholefood vegan diet when they've got a race coming up because they find it helps with their performance.

It's the same with accountants. I remember even before I was vegan, me and my colleagues would always go on a vegan diet when the tax return deadline was coming up. We found that it improved the suppleness of our fingers so they moved that much quicker around the calculator. Of course the smart ones stuck with it all year round.

Wash your back

Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

There are lots of theories as to why vegan diets lead to better athletic performance. Some credible ones include the following:

1. Higher in carbohydrates, the essential fuel for better performance.
2. Healthier for the heart, the essential organ for better performance!
3. Vegans are generally more health conscious.
4. Aids in better digestion.
5. Aids in a faster recovery from workouts which allows for more workouts.

Whatever the reason(s), exercise and the vegan diet are a great combination!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I agree that athletics and veganism go hand in hand! Smile

I've been way more active since going vegan. I went vegan at the end of December, and have slowly been working on getting back into shape.

This past month especially has been great: I've finally gotten my endurance back up to running 5k (with plans to train for my third half-marathon this fall), I've gone on a few two-and-a-half-hour walks when the weather was nice, and I've gone to a yoga class almost every single day this month.

Even when I was in good shape and training for other half-marathons (in my pre-vegan days), I wouldn't have had the energy for all of that.

Go vegans!! Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Anyone interested in vegan diets and running (or any exercise) should check out and "like" our VegRUN Facebook page! You will see lots of great tips there.

https://www.facebook.com/VegRUN

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 117 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org