21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: How to deal with long-term guests
Created on: 07/04/13 07:06 AM Views: 1340 Replies: 7
How to deal with long-term guests
Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Next month we will have a couple of family members staying with us. My husband and I have been following a vegan lifestyle for a while and trying very hard to let go of old habits. These family members eat a regular Meat-lover's diet. I really don't want to bring those foods into the house. They will be staying for a few weeks. And I cannot tell them to go eat out. I have to feed them.
I know ... They should eat from the choices we offer. My question is... Has anyone experienced a similar situation? How did it go? Rolling Eyes

RE: How to deal with long-term guests
Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

This will be quite a challenge, Mercedes, but at least you have your husband for back-up and are not trying to stand on your own.

As hard as it may be at first, stay strong with your convictions to stick to the vegan plan and know deep down that you're doing what's best for your guests - your family members! - as well. I know you want to make them feel at home and to feel welcome but you can do that in other ways without compromising your plant-based goals.

Are they aware that you and your husband are eating a vegan diet already?

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

This is family. Cook what they like (they are your guests), and continue on your path. Set an example, not a war. If they are ready to be enlightened, then so be it.

The one thing I hated as an early vegetarian was people wondering what I was putting into my mouth. Let peace rule over meals. Say you lost your taste for animal products, eat what you want, and provide for them. The majority of us were once meat eaters. I do believe that guests should be treated as such!

Edited 07/04/13 4:06 PM
Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Or your guests could remember the old adage, "when in Rome.....". If you were meateaters and they were strict vegans, should you be expected to change your diet then because they are your guests? You can certainly still treat them well without providing foods that you don't want in your home.

Or your guests could remember the old adage, "when in Rome.....". If you were meateaters and they were strict vegans, should you be expected to change your diet then because they are your guests? You can certainly still treat them well without providing foods that you don't want in your home.

Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Apologies for the post in triplicate. No way to delete them..?

Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
I think I will provide foods that they like along with plenty of some our favorite vegan dishes. And since is summer, there will be lots of fruits and veggies that we all enjoy.
Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 544 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org