21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Starchy Carbs
Created on: 11/30/13 01:29 PM Views: 1964 Replies: 8
Starchy Carbs
Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Hello to all. I'm a new Vegan and have been brainwashed for so long to avoid starchy carbs. I've done the Atkins diet, and I did lose a lot of weight, but I just felt so guilty due to ethical issues. Consequently, I'm really happy eating the Vegan lifestyle; however, I'm still afraid of starchy carbs. I love brown rice, potatoes, oatmeal, etc.....
Can someone please help me get over my phobia? I do want to lose some weight, but I'm so afraid that the rice and other starch is making my insulin spike and stored as fat.

RE: Starchy Carbs
Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I don't know how to explain it to you but when I added potatoes to my diet I started losing weight again. They're filling, stop my cravings FLAT and I am satisfied with less food. I suggest you read "The Starch Solution" by John McDougall. He explains why you crave starch (carbs) and how your body uses them. Excellent book.

Also, not all starch is created equal. Brown rice, not white. Whole wheat pasta not white. Whole wheat bread not white.

And you have to eliminate the extracted oils. NO OIL at all.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Your meals aren't going to consist of only starchy carbs. Control the portion amount of the starchy carbs and fill out your plate with other delicious non-starchy options. For example, 1/2 cup of rice along with other vegetables and fruits.

Jen

Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I don't know how to explain it to you but when I added potatoes to my diet I started losing weight again. They're filling, stop my cravings FLAT and I am satisfied with less food. I suggest you read "The Starch Solution" by John McDougall. He explains why you crave starch (carbs) and how your body uses them. Excellent book.

Also, not all starch is created equal. Brown rice, not white. Whole wheat pasta not white. Whole wheat bread not white.

And you have to eliminate the extracted oils. NO OIL at all.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Thanks for your responses. Actually, I just flew coast to coast and I read The Starch Solution while on the plane. I do think it made a lot of sense, but then again, so did the Atkins book...lol.
I just made a Resistant Starch salad consisting of potatoes, black beans, vegan mayo, onions, and celery. It's quite good...but whoa, a lot of starch.

Posted Saturday, November 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Thanks for your responses. Actually, I just flew coast to coast and I read The Starch Solution while on the plane. I do think it made a lot of sense, but then again, so did the Atkins book...lol.
I just made a Resistant Starch salad consisting of potatoes, black beans, vegan mayo, onions, and celery. It's quite good...but whoa, a lot of starch.

Posted Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I suppose any one can make almost anything sound reasonable! But when we look at the actual research to see what healthy people eat, what people who live the longest QUALITY lives eat, we see it is a lot of starch and a lot of carbs! The most nutrient-dense foods are whole plants - grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables. They protect us from so many harms with their packed vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber - but with relatively fewer calories.

This is about being really healthy for life. Losing weight tends to be a side effect. Atkins, on the other hand, is about losing weight at the cost of everything else including your overall health.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Susan has said it best -

"This is about being really healthy for life. Losing weight tends to be a side effect. Atkins, on the other hand, is about losing weight at the cost of everything else including your overall health."

The older I get the more it's about health, not weight. I have never been very overweight so that may be easier for me to say than others, but really - isn't health the primary focus? If not it should be. Weight is just one aspect of health. A BIG aspect, but still, just one part of the total picture.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, December 2, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I laugh at the carbophobia of almost everyone I know, because I'm the only slim and very fit 67 year old of all my friends and my diet is 78% carbs, 11% fat and 11% protein. I've been vegan for a few years and following McDougall's Starch Solution for several months. Last night for dinner I had a bean/veggie stew with no oil, several other veggies on the side as well as a baked potato and baked sweet potato. Brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa are staples for me. A couple of months ago I had a fasting blood sugar drawn, but I had eaten my bowl of oatmeal with ground flaxseed and berries 2 hours prior - just to see what the fasting sugar would be after the oatmeal. It was 79, so I certainly had no great insulin spike after I had breakfast. There's a huge difference between natural carbs and starches and those processed, ground up into flour.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 96 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org