21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Cantina Bowls
Created on: 02/05/13 08:52 PM Views: 996 Replies: 3
Cantina Bowls
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Tonight for the Mexican meal I went to Taco Bell and got the vegetarian Cantina Bowl. It was delicious, but then I got worried about if they're allowed? I didn't have any sour cream or cheese on it.

Jennifer

RE: Cantina Bowls
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

According to their web site, the cilantro dressing is not vegan. Can't remember at the moment but I think it has egg whites. I often buy it for lunch, though, and just have them leave off the dressing. I don't eat all of the guacamole so it is not so high in fat. Our local Taco Bell makes alot of mistakes lol. Today they forgot to put the beans on mine. They also have a side of just beans and rice that will do in a pinch if I don't get lunch packed before work.

Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

We purchased the Cantina Vegetable Burritos a couple of times until I found the nutritional information.

Cantina Bowl: 560 calories, 22g fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1520 mg sodium, 64g carbs, 9g fiber, 4g sugar, 26g protein

Cantina Burrito: 760 calories, 27g fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1960mg sodium, 96g carbs, 12g fiber, 7g sugar, 32g protein

Of course, this is with all the ingredients in the original "recipe". I'm going to order it "Fresco style" as they state on their website is available - pico de gallo in place of the mayo based sauces, lower fat cheese, etc. and see what happens. I almost never pick up fast food anymore but the Cantina menu looked pretty good.

Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

It should be fine, as long as (as stated above) you skip the cheese, dressing, and sour cream. The dressing has egg and "sour cream powder." Leaving these off will drop the fat, sodium, cholesterol, and calories considerably.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 212 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org