21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Coconut Oil & Honey
Created on: 08/06/14 02:44 AM Views: 396 Replies: 5
Coconut Oil & Honey
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 2:44 AM

I was trying to find out some info about coconut oil in regards to its health benefits. Since it is still an oil it leads me to think that it should still be used only in very small quantities. I found this blog post trying to find out what Dr Neal Barnard says about it.

http://rnlblog.com/2013/09/23/what-i-learned-from-a-weekend-with-dr-neal-barnard/

What does everyone in the community think?

Also, completely off topic, but is honey something that should be avoided? I try not to use too many refined products just because they pack in a lot of calories and are not naturally found in nature. I had a sore throat very recently and tea with honey was very comforting and it always confused me why vegans avoid honey. Is it merely because it is an animal made product? The same as not using silk? Can someone shed some light? Eating a plant-based diet is something I ultimately want to do to avoid the same diseases that have plagued my mom, and being dogmatic in anything is something I've always had an aversion towards. Sorry, this became such a rambling topic.

RE: Coconut Oil & Honey
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Came across this as well, I love that Westonaprice is still hard at work trying to dismantle Dr. Neal Barnard's research.

http://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/power-foods-for-the-brain-by-by-neal-barnard/

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Dr. Barnard would lump coconut oil/butter into the same category as other processed fat products like oil and margarine. Best to avoid.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

icehappy wrote:

Also, completely off topic, but is honey something that should be avoided? I try not to use too many refined products just because they pack in a lot of calories and are not naturally found in nature. I had a sore throat very recently and tea with honey was very comforting and it always confused me why vegans avoid honey. Is it merely because it is an animal made product? The same as not using silk? Can someone shed some light? Eating a plant-based diet is something I ultimately want to do to avoid the same diseases that have plagued my mom, and being dogmatic in anything is something I've always had an aversion towards. Sorry, this became such a rambling topic.

Honey is in the same category as eggs, milk, wool, silk - they don't kill the animal but they do affect the animal because the animal grows/produces the item for its own needs, not for people to take.

That said, it's up to each individual to decide for themselves. For me, I eat plant-based but that doesn't necessarily extend to "dogmatic vegan" - hubby still has a leather belt (no point in wasting something that's already in use), I'll put honey on my son's lips in the winter if they get dry and uncomfortable (he won't use any kind of lip moisturizer - and finding a decent vegan one is tough anyhow - the ones that aren't all chemical are mostly bee's wax and honey), and so on.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Personally I avoid all processed oil like poison. Dr. Esselstyn has some VERY compelling talks and YouTube videos that convinced me that oil is evil. I do occasionally use honey. I realize it's not considered vegan but I don't claim to be vegan. I eat a plant based whole foods diet. My use of honey is minimal and I have not found an acceptable substitute.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Re: Honey. For people concerned with Blood Sugars, Agave Nectar has a lower Glycemic Index. In Dr Barnard's recipe book, several of the recipes use Agave Nectar which is plant based.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 139 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Chanie08, Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org