21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: should i avoid beans, peanuts and legumes?
Created on: 01/10/14 02:41 PM Views: 902 Replies: 9
should i avoid beans, peanuts and legumes?
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I know that vegan eating is very different indeed from the 'paleo' diet, however it seems that I am hearing a lot about beans/peanuts not being good?

even if cooked and eaten, or roasted, articles are saying they contribute to a lot of stomach pain, something like aflatoxins (peanuts) and lectins, for the beans. I do not see how beans and nuts are so bad if I am vegan, how could I get the protein otherwise?

I am not obese or overweight, so I do not think the carbs from beans will be so bad for me. I don't plan to eat gallons of beans or peanuts!

I would like to hear your opinions on this, maybe get an idea of what is a good portion size for things like the beans and nuts.
Thank you all Very Happy

RE: should i avoid beans, peanuts and legumes?
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I'm surprised to hear that beans are being declared "bad." Certainly they are not! They are very healthful and their consumption whole-heartedly encouraged! Please do eat them! The only caution with nuts is fat content. Sitting down with a big bag of nuts or jar of peanut butter is not recommended, and can in fact, sabotage a low-fat eating plan.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Beans get soaked to help remove tannins and phytates before cooking and eating them so there is really no reason to not eat them, provided there are no allergy issues and such (I know someone who is allergic to pinto beans, but not other types of beans)

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

And if push comes to shove, just remember that you don't have to eat beans on this plan. You just have to act like you eat beans.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM

The Cleveland Clinic says nuts are a heart healthy food and advises, "The following equal one ounce: 24 almonds, 18 medium cashews, 12 hazelnuts or filberts, 8 medium Brazil nuts, 12 macadamia nuts, 35 peanuts, 15 pecan halves and 14 English walnut halves (3). Prepackaging nuts into small, single-serving containers or bags can help keep the servings under control. All it takes is one, one-ounce serving a day or five ounces per week of a variety of nuts to reap the heart-disease fighting benefits found in the research presented above."

email
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Thank you all for your advice and input =)

I am around too many cavemen and cavewomen! meaning, that there are too many paleo-diet people around me, so I'm being told how even a vegetarian diet is so wrong. it makes me sad to see how much others will over-rely on animals for their protein. how beans are worse than animal's meat for our bodies to be healthy? I guess I am really learning a lot about nutrition and this kickstart will teach me so much! but to each, his or her own. I cannot say what others ought to do, nor do I ever want to.

I'm glad to know that many of you have been vegan for so long, you can really help and motivate me when it gets hard or if the cravings for example like chocolate, come out of nowhere!

Theodore, your comment made me laugh =) yes, let's just politely nod and say we eat our beans, even if some of us don't like them? =) but what's not to like, the poor legumes do not get enough good reputation!

Posted Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

When you look at the Blue Zones around the world, communities which have the highest number of centenarians and much lower rates of disease than we do, you'll discover there are commonalities among them. The one food item which all these healthy people eat is LEGUMES Smile

Posted Monday, January 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

kittens09 wrote:

Thank you all for your advice and input =)

I am around too many cavemen and cavewomen! meaning, that there are too many paleo-diet people around me, so I'm being told how even a vegetarian diet is so wrong. it makes me sad to see how much others will over-rely on animals for their protein. how beans are worse than animal's meat for our bodies to be healthy? I guess I am really learning a lot about nutrition and this kickstart will teach me so much! but to each, his or her own. I cannot say what others ought to do, nor do I ever want to.

I'm glad to know that many of you have been vegan for so long, you can really help and motivate me when it gets hard or if the cravings for example like chocolate, come out of nowhere!

Theodore, your comment made me laugh =) yes, let's just politely nod and say we eat our beans, even if some of us don't like them? =) but what's not to like, the poor legumes do not get enough good reputation!

If those 'paleo' people are actually living a paleo style where they hunt for the meat, kill it, clean it, use every part of it, smoke/dry some to tide them over the lean seasons, gorge on the rest and then have to hunt again and live on whatever they can glean from roots, berries, nuts, etc. then fine. If they're going to the grocery store and buying meat, then they're not so much paleo IMO. Not to mention they don't account for WHERE - find out where your greatgreatgreats back at least 2000 years (minimum) were from and eat what was available there if you want to be authentic, because different paleo populations developed the ability to handle different foods.

As far as chocolate, that doesn't necessarily be gone - just need to look for vegan varieties which means no milk chocolate. A good, high quality dark chocolate has very little sugar - and I've even found chocolate that is fruit juice sweetened rather than sugar sweetened. Or, you can nibble cacao nibs for a hit of chocolate (but they are bitter, not sweet, more like chewing coffee beans than eating a Hershey bar). For occasional (occasional) treats, a good vegan chocolate snack is not a bad thing, occasionally. (did I mention it's an occasional thing? lol)

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Beans or lentils and peanuts may both be legumes but the similarity stops there. Peanuts are calorie dense with 14 grams fat (1.9 grams saturated fat) in an ounce. To keep fat calories at 10% on my 2000 calories, I eat 22 grams fat total. Reversal of heart disease was proven by Ornish and Esselstyn on dietary intakes of 10% or less fat. There is less than 1 gram of fat in a cup of beans.

Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

If those 'paleo' people are actually living a paleo style where they hunt for the meat, kill it, clean it, use every part of it, smoke/dry some to tide them over the lean seasons, gorge on the rest and then have to hunt again and live on whatever they can glean from roots, berries, nuts, etc. then fine.

Honestly, if they could just go 5 minutes without spreading mis-information that would be enough for me.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 323 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org