21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Slow cooker
Created on: 07/21/13 09:59 AM Views: 5646 Replies: 27
RE: Slow cooker
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I bought a slow cooker and it doesn't cook the veges properly - I will have to return it as I think there is something wrong with it. Meantime, I have been cooking delicious vege and Quorn casseroles in the oven - I just slice all manner of veges in layers, pour in some vege stock and top with thin slices of potato. It takes about 40 mins and is delicious and healthy. I have decided that I don't really need a slow cooker.

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Sounds tasty! Could you please tell me what temperature you use and how thick you slice the vegetables? Also, what is quoarn (sp?)? Thanks Very Happy

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Quorn is a fake meat product that you can buy in the freezer section. I've never had it and I think you would need to read the list of ingredients. I don't believe it complies with WFPBNO (whole foods plant based no oil) WOE (way of eating). I haven't looked at it in a very long time and they could have a variety of products, but it's a very processed food.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for the info! I have no desire for any fake meat products, w/ the exception of an organic tempeh smoked fakin' bacon-I'll have to check out the ingredients....is tempeh considered.heavily processed?

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Hi there. Thanks for your posts re my casserole. If you don't like faux meats then I guess you could substitute beans or lentils. Personally, l don't care for lentils and try to stay away from too many beans. Re slicing the veges - medium is fine. You can slice the top layer of potatoes a bit thinner if you like it crispy. I have only just started using Quorn and believe it is quite popular in the UK now - gooogle it for more info.

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Thanks-since I just got a vitamix a few months ago, I'm going to hold off another big expense and give your oven roasted begs a whirlSmile do you use a glass casserole dish?

Posted Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I use a pyrex rectangular casserole dish - 200 C fan - bake oven for about 50 mins. If there is any left over for the next day, I reheat in a smaller dish, slice some more potato on top and bake - just as tasty the second time round.

Posted Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

What is Quorn? The recipes sound awesome! Can you list one for me?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 465 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org