21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Blood test results
Created on: 05/14/12 03:07 PM Views: 3304 Replies: 8
Blood test results
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

March 14, 2011(mostly vegetarian) vs. April 25, 2012 (almost vegan started in early March, but being vegan since the Kickstart )

Cholestrol: 160 mg/dL. ................ 151
Triglyceride 82 mg/dL. ................ 103
HDL. 46 (I thought it was higher.......43
LDL, calculated 98 ................ 87
Triglyceride 82 .............. 103

Chol/HDL ratio. 3.48 ............,... 3.51

Relative risk (given in the results )
1/2 avg. risk. 3.27
Average risk. 4.44
Etc.

B12. Wasn't checked ............... 554 pg/ mL (range given as > 211)

I need to increase my HDL for sure as it wasn't that great to start with, but I am disappointed with the fact that my triglycerides went up Sad I didn't eat too many nuts, so I am not so sure why to have higher triglyceride My DH kind of remembered reading something about eating too much beans, but it didn't make sense to us. Any ideas?

RE: Blood test results
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Even though triglycerides are a fat, they can go up when you eat processed carbs (white bread, pastas, cold cereals, pastries, etc.). I don't know much about your diet, but if processed flours are in there a good deal, I would eat more whole grains like brown rice, oats, quinoa, etc.

Also, when your LDLs fall, it's not unusual that your HDLs will fall too. This phenomenon is what Dr. Dean Ornish refers to as, "If you don't have as much garbage (LDLs), you don't need as many garbage trucks (HDLs)." Remember, your HDLs are "good" only because they are poised to leave your body. You really want your LDLs to fall more than you want your HDLs to rise.

Hats off. I think you are doing great! I hope you feel better too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 05/14/12 3:55 PM
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

By the way - that's an 11% drop in LDL! That's really great! And your total cholesterol is getting into what is referred to as the "heart attack proof" zone (less than 150).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for the replies, Susan. I try to eat whole wheat pasta or pasta with added fiber. However, I might have had some guacamole (my DH makes a great one) after the Kickstart program ended and that might have affected my triglycerides, who knows. However, I lost a total of 25 lb since December and feeling much better, except last week when I had a strange headache that moved around my head (I am occasional migraine sufferer) and made me weak as well gave me some nausea. I don't know if I am lacking something or it was just a bug....

Also, yesterday when we went to a steakhouse for the Mothe's Day dinner, I had fries with my veggie burger as I couldn't have the stuffed portabella because it already had the cheese mixed in its stuffing. However, I didn't eat all of the fries Smile

Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM

accident repost

Edited 05/17/12 4:09 PM
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

accident repost

Edited 05/17/12 4:10 PM
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yesim wrote:

I try to eat whole wheat pasta or pasta with added fiber.

Processed carbohydrates are processed carbohydrates. Although whole grains rather than stripped grains are being processed into a shape (bread or pasta) it is not a grain in it's natural state, such as rice, quinoa, etc.

I really don't think the guacamole did it. I recently googled a lot and talked with the lady who did my labs and between those two things, I've come to this conclusion.

3 causes of high triglycerides:
1. Sedentary lifestyle
2. Overweight or obese
3. Too many processed carbs (whether from whole grain sources or not.

As a person who stopped eating white bread/pasta 4 years ago, and label read the packages to make sure I got the real stuff, my still having borderline high triglycerides leads me to believe that processed is processed, whether it's whole grains or not.

1 and 2 doesn't help either. ^u^

Posted Friday, August 3, 2012 at 5:04 AM

phoray wrote:

Yesim wrote:
I try to eat whole wheat pasta or pasta with added fiber.

Processed carbohydrates are processed carbohydrates. Although whole grains rather than stripped grains are being processed into a shape (bread or pasta) it is not a grain in it's natural state, such as rice, quinoa, etc.

I really don't think the guacamole did it. I recently googled a lot and talked with the lady who did my labs and between those two things, I've come to this conclusion.

3 causes of high triglycerides:
1. Sedentary lifestyle
2. Overweight or obese
3. Too many processed carbs (whether from whole grain sources or not.

As a person who stopped eating white bread/pasta 4 years ago, and label read the packages to make sure I got the real stuff, my still having borderline high triglycerides leads me to believe that processed is processed, whether it's whole grains or not.

1 and 2 doesn't help either. ^u^

Are you eating much sugar ?

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 6:38 AM

I don't know much about your diet, but if processed flours are in there a good deal, I would eat more whole grains like brown rice, oats, quinoa, etc.

We offer 640-911 dumps basic tutorials for web design learners. Best of luck,

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 145 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org