21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Question on portions, etc.
Created on: 02/07/13 06:08 AM Views: 1262 Replies: 7
Question on portions, etc.
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Could you tell me if we should be aiming for certain portions in these recipes? I'd love it if it didn't matter, of course, hoping that somehow the foods themselves will help reduce my hunger pains, but my weight loss has slowed, not surprisingly, when I don't look at how much I am eating. The main issue for me is that for various reasons I cannot just limit my eating to three meals as I need to eat more frequently and in smaller amounts, making it more difficult to know overall how much I eat.

Also, I noticed that the basic grocery list doesn't appear to include all ingredients for all the recipes...it would be helpful if it did have the specific vegetables in the recipes, for instance...

RE: Question on portions, etc.
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Serving sizes do not matter! That's the best part!

The basics list is just to get you started, making no assumptions about what recipes you might choose to try. You can, however, print a grocery list from the menu by choosing the "Print the grocery list for the 21-Day Meal Plan" option.

I hope that helps!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Just saw how to reply to your message...Okay, so does that mean it's okay to eat more frequently as long as I eat from the suggestions? If I don't lose weight, is it more a matter of eating too much of some of the more fatty foods, such as nuts and dried fruit? I have to admit that they are more of a temptation! Thanks...

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:24 AM

That's right. Eat all you want of fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains. Definitely not the case with nuts and seeds and other fatty foods: http://pcrm.org/health/diets/pplate/what-about-nuts-and-seeds.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Thanks, I suspected as much! One last question...are dried fruits worse than fresh? I do find dried apricots particularly tempting!

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Dried fruits have less water so are much easier to over consume. For example, I can sit down and eat probably 10 prunes but 10 plums would be much trickier and more time consuming. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless its displacing a variety of other foods. I'd also avoid dried fruits that have added sugar or other additives.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 at 12:22 AM

It is the quality of the food, not the quantity. I experimented with this in January. I ate restaurant-sized portions three times a day plus snacks. Everything was whole-food, vegan, and low-/no-fat. I didn't gain weight and dropped my body fat percentage. It works.

Cubberly wrote:

Could you tell me if we should be aiming for certain portions in these recipes? I'd love it if it didn't matter, of course, hoping that somehow the foods themselves will help reduce my hunger pains, but my weight loss has slowed, not surprisingly, when I don't look at how much I am eating. The main issue for me is that for various reasons I cannot just limit my eating to three meals as I need to eat more frequently and in smaller amounts, making it more difficult to know overall how much I eat.

Also, I noticed that the basic grocery list doesn't appear to include all ingredients for all the recipes...it would be helpful if it did have the specific vegetables in the recipes, for instance...

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Oh good I was wondering about portion sizes too. I always enjoyed food but now I love every mouthful so I eat more. I try to keep my dry fruit and nuts to just occasional snacking like twice a week but I do like my pretzels. Anyone know of wholegrain alternative in the UK?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 322 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org