21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Losing weight on vegan diet is difficult
Created on: 02/07/13 09:57 AM Views: 3329 Replies: 13
Losing weight on vegan diet is difficult
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I just happened upon this site. I switched to a vegan diet after watching Forks Over Knives and have only lost 3 lbs in 2.5 months. Highly frustrated! I am hoping this site will help me discover what I am doing wrong. My biggest problem is what to eat for snacks! Any ideas other than veggies and hummus? Love that but I am finding it's really hard to eat so many vegetables and beans.

RE: Losing weight on vegan diet is difficult
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I have lost about 9 lbs over 4 weeks on this menu but like you am a snacker in the evening. I turn to fruit or popcorn or rice cakes, frozen fuit pops (no added sugar) and ocasionally some low fat chips (you can find those) or low fat crackers. I alos drink sugar free pop occasionaly but am drinking more water these days.

The results and incouragment is what keeps me on track and the lose of 9 lbs is amazing plus (since im a diabetic) my blood sugar has been stablised and normal now for a few weeks.

Find the low fat snacks and stick to the basics from here (I dont do complicated or special ingegeant cooking). Another snack would be a veggie plate of carrot sticks, celeray....

Keep going it will work for you Wink

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Our 21-day menu has some snack ideas, too. I like to snack on pretzels and dijon mustard. Hits the spot!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Are you cutting out oils and fatty vegan foods? Vegetable oils are pure fat and really aren't good for you at all. Keep in mind vegetable oils are found in packaged hummus, salad dressings, crackers, chips, pretzels, and the like. Nuts, avocados, coconut, and soy (tofu, miso, etc) have a high fat content too. Fake "meats" and "cheeses" are also high in fat and aren't much better for you than the real thing.
My favorite snack is a baked potato with salsa Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Edited 02/07/13 4:54 PM
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yes although not entirely. I still use a little olive oil. I have eliminated processed foods like crackers etc. I use very little salad dressing and I make my own - balsamic and olive oil Never drink sodas, haven't in 20 yrs. I am eating all the right things. I sometimes overdo the almonds but am trying to keep that to a minimum. And I have overdone the peanut butter but no more. Those are the only things that I think have affected my slow loss. I know I don't drink enough water. So what has worked in the past is not working very well now. I only need to lose 10 lbs and I'm 57. Doing weight training 3 days a week but can't do any hard aerobics as I am having a knee issue - osteoarthritis. Just had a knee injection (1 out of 3) - hyuralonic acid. I desperately need to get these 10 lbs off because of my knee if nothing else! So there you have it!

Yes although not entirely. I still use a little olive oil. I have eliminated processed foods like crackers etc. I use very little salad dressing and I make my own - balsamic and olive oil Never drink sodas, haven't in 20 yrs. I am eating all the right things. I sometimes overdo the almonds but am trying to keep that to a minimum. And I have overdone the peanut butter but no more. Those are the only things that I think have affected my slow loss. I know I don't drink enough water. So what has worked in the past is not working very well now. I only need to lose 10 lbs and I'm 57. Doing weight training 3 days a week but can't do any hard aerobics as I am having a knee issue - osteoarthritis. Just had a knee injection (1 out of 3) - hyuralonic acid. I desperately need to get these 10 lbs off because of my knee if nothing else! So there you have it!

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Am so sorry I have no idea why my post posted 4 times! I tried to edit this but there is no way to delete the extra posts as far as I can see. If anyone knows how, please let me know. Must be my stupid iPad...

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Haha - no worries. We've all done it. It takes a solid 15 seconds once you hit SAVE for it to post. One's inclination is to keep hitting SAVE, only to find out each click leads to a new post.

I can't edit them out either. Sorry!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yeah it was so slow I think I did hit save too many times thinking it wasn't taking!

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

ronjenk wrote:

I have lost about 9 lbs over 4 weeks on this menu but like you am a snacker in the evening. I turn to fruit or popcorn or rice cakes, frozen fuit pops (no added sugar) and ocasionally some low fat chips (you can find those) or low fat crackers. I alos drink sugar free pop occasionaly but am drinking more water these days.

The results and incouragment is what keeps me on track and the lose of 9 lbs is amazing plus (since im a diabetic) my blood sugar has been stablised and normal now for a few weeks.

Find the low fat snacks and stick to the basics from here (I dont do complicated or special ingegeant cooking). Another snack would be a veggie plate of carrot sticks, celeray....

Keep going it will work for you Wink

I'm glad for the suggestions of pretzels/mustard plus the sugar free pops and rice cakes. I hadn't thought of those. I need something also. I have popcorn almost every day!

Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM

jbknowlt wrote:

If you are really dead-set on getting the weight off quicker, I'd cut out all the olive oil and the nuts. There are great recipes out there for oil-free dressings that are delicious. But those that only have the last bit of weight to lose, it is going to be harder. When I went full-on low fat vegan this January (I'd been about 90% there before for a year and a half), I only dropped my percent body fat by 0.2% in 30 days but that didn't discourage me. I'm a small person with not a lot left to lose so a slow and steady pace will work just fine. As long as that number continues to go down, I'll take any decrease. Have you tried pool exercises? Those are supposed to be better for joints.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

If you want to lose weight, the best way would be not to snack at all! You need to give your body a chance to access fat stores and start burning fat. After 2 hours, your stomach empties, and many of us mistake that empty feeling for hunger and eat again, before the body has a chance to burn all the calories it's just digested.

The best description of true hunger and how to recognize it, that I've seen, is in Joel Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. I would really recommend this book for losing weight on a plant based diet.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 156 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org