21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Good reading list for new vegans?
Created on: 11/23/13 02:22 PM Views: 1016 Replies: 8
Good reading list for new vegans?
Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Hi all,

Here's a list of some of the books I've been reading that I've found useful. What's everyone else reading these days? Maybe we can start a list here of useful resources for other new vegans Very Happy

I've been reading up a bunch lately (over the past couple of months) on everything vegan. I figure that the more I read up on things, the better able I'll be to answer questions/concerns from non-vegans, and the stronger my knowledge and ability to stick with veganism over the long term.

"The 30 Minute Vegan", by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. This cookbook is all about recipes that are easy and can be made quickly. I haven't tried many of the recipes yet, but they all sound pretty good - including a low-fat citrus-curry dressing that sounds pretty amazing.

"Becoming Vegan", by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. It does get a little technical in places, but it's got all kinds of useful info on becoming vegan in a healthy way, and it discusses some potential issues and how vegans can overcome them (ie: B12 deficiency, and issues with adequate intake and absorption of things like iron, zinc, calcium, etc).

"Main Street Vegan", by Victoria Moran. I think this is my favourite vegan book so far. I found it to be an excellant resource - it's well-written, engaging, non-dogmatic, and it includes tasty-sounding recipes at the end of each chapter. After reading this book I felt like becoming vegan would be possible for me. The book also includes all kinds of links at the end to other useful resources, including various organizations around the world and various websites and companies that cater to vegans.

"Crazy Sexy Kitchen", by Kris Carr and Chad Sarno. This is a great book if you're entertaining and you want to create some fancy and delicious vegan meals - stuff that would appeal to anyone whether they're vegan or not. They've also got some more simple recipes in there too. Plus the food pictures are all so delicious-looking. I can't wait to try some more of the recipes! These recipes are not all low fat, but I'm sure you could make substitutions if needed.

"Breaking the Food Seduction", by Dr. Neil Barnard. I've only read the first couple of chapters so far, so I can't speak for the whole book. I signed this book out from the library because I was looking for help in overcoming my cheese addiction. I've found it to be helpful so far, and I've also heard good things about it from others.

"The Kind Diet", by Alicia Silverstone. I only recently signed this book out from the library and haven't had a chance to look through it in any detail yet. That being said, a quick browse through the book shows lots of really tasty-looking recipes and info on going vegan, plus lots of pretty food pics (and I'm a sucker for a cookbook with pretty food pics, lol).

"Animal Liberation", by Peter Singer. This book differs in that it doesn't focus on the vegan diet itself, but rather it looks at the animal welfare issues surrounding animal experimentation and the farming and raising of animals for food. I'm still working my way through this book, but so far it's been a real eye-opener. I thought I knew a lot about what goes on but I found some of the stuff in this book to be a huge surprise, and pretty shocking. Warning: the content in this book can be pretty upsetting. That being said, I think it should be required reading for anyone who wants to be fully informed about what goes on behind the scenes. I'm sure that by the time I've finished reading this book I won't have any trouble with finding motivation to stay vegan.

Edited 11/23/13 2:38 PM
RE: Good reading list for new vegans?
Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

My Beef With Meat - Rip Esselstyn
The Pleasure Trap - Doug Lisle
The China Study - T. Colin Campbell
Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease - Caldwell Esselstyn
Anything by John McDougall
Anything by Neal Barnard

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Before I made the leap to veganism, I'd read "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. I found it both entertaining and informative. But, do remember to keep your sense of humor intact while reading it!

Jen

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Ok here is my list:

The World Peace Diet by Dr. Will Tuttle. Voted one of the best books of the 21st century (so far) and Amazon bestseller in march 2010, written by someone who received the Courage of Conscience Award. If you want to learn about Veganism's true meaning beyond the diet aspect, this book has it all: philosophy, history, ethics, interconnectivity of issues, spirituality (Dr. Tuttle is a zen master). You name it. The most complete book ever on the subject.

Vegan Freaks: Kick ass book on adopting a vegan lifestyle.

Betty Goes Vegan: great cookbook with simple recipes.

Diet for a new America by John Robbins: He almost got a Pulitzer for this one.

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Ok here is my list:

The World Peace Diet by Dr. Will Tuttle. Voted one of the best books of the 21st century (so far) and Amazon bestseller in march 2010, written by someone who received the Courage of Conscience Award. If you want to learn about Veganism's true meaning beyond the diet aspect, this book has it all: philosophy, history, ethics, interconnectivity of issues, spirituality (Dr. Tuttle is a zen master). You name it. The most complete book ever on the subject.

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Ok here is my list:

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Ok here is my list:

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Great lists! I've heard Eating Animals is a good book, by Jonathan Safran Foer. I've read other books by him that are totally unrelated to diet, and they are great.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, December 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I got started in January 2012 with Dr. Barnard's 21-Day Kickstart book. So that is at the top of my list. I also found watching the video Forks Over Knives to be very helpful in providing an overview of all of the health concepts underlying a vegan diet. Already mentioned by others...The China Study.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 212 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org