21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: soy myths, making my own non-dairy milk?
Created on: 03/29/13 04:18 AM Views: 1019 Replies: 4
soy myths, making my own non-dairy milk?
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 4:18 AM

1. If I'm not over-weight or allergic..and I don't have history of breast cancer in my family - is it okay to take in soy milk, any brand? I get frustrated when random people even, say 'oh soy is bad for you, it's unhealthy and causes this/that'

2. How could I make my own non-dairy milk alternatives, like rice or almond? I guess it will sound strange, but for my own soya based milk - could I use tofu and mash it up/blend it?

Thanks guys =) This month was better but wasn't able to completely cut the dairy. I think April 1st will be a good month - hoping for it!

RE: soy myths, making my own non-dairy milk?
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM

No matter what changes you make to your diet or lifestyle, there will be naysayers; those who don't like what you're doing because it goes against their own pre-concieved notions. That includes those with carnivorous, omnivorous, herbivorus diets. I have read recipes for making your own plant milk, but frankly I am too lazy to do that so can't give you one off the top of my head. They are available if that's what you'd prefer.

Jennifer

Edited 03/29/13 3:43 PM
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I bought a soy/nut milk maker. They are inexpensive and saves me a lot of money, not to mention the chemicals/sugar in commercially processed milks.

I don't know if the hype about soy is due to the fact that 90% of soybeans produced here are genetically modified. GMO's are proving to be the cause of a lot of food allergies and other health concerns.

All I know is that when I eliminated all GMOs from my diet, I feel better. That includes the meat and dairy which are fed GMOs.

I'm in control of what I put into my body and that is liberating for me. Not to mention the amazing body transformation I've had. I now weigh less than my goal weight at weight watchers...lol And I don't count calories or measure my food.

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

There are lots of plant-milk recipes available online if you want to make your own. I used to make my own almond milk because it was super simple. Soy milk I never tried, but I suspect it is pretty easy too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Good for you for making the change! Don't let others discourage you, keep your thoughts on positive, helpful things and more will open up to you.

Soy milk is made from whole soybeans, not tofu. There are machines that make the process easy. I prefer almond milk and The Chef and The Dietitian have DOZENS youtube videos out teaching vegan cooking, one of which is how easy it is to make almond milk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JMjQKt0_90

Enjoy!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 03/29/13 12:34 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 208 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org