21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Cannot eat tomato products. Alternative?
Created on: 03/29/13 01:04 PM Views: 810 Replies: 6
Cannot eat tomato products. Alternative?
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I cannot eat fresh or processed tomato. What might be some alternatives for replacement of sauce or adding tomato to recipe. I do not expect a similar taste but something to try. Example: what could be tried in a mild chili soup or with pasta instead of sauce. What about in a veggie stew?
Acid and hot spice is the problem for my throat and stomach.
Ideas of new solution welcome.
Thank you

RE: Cannot eat tomato products. Alternative?
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Have you tried something like a basil pesto? Or perhaps a white sauce made with plant milk? Sorry, I love tomato sauces and use them lots. Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Thank you, Jennifer. I did love tomatoes. I have a condition similar to an allergy that has ended me eating them. I feel so much better without them and it has been over 6 months since I have eaten any tomato products. I do use basil as a different alternative. I have not tried to make A white sauce with plant milk. Will try.
I really think about the body tomatoes bring to a stew or soup.
Does anyone think that something like another fruit such as mango or apples could be used for stews and soups. Yes, different in flavor but doable?

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM

What about experimenting with various squashes? I use them in stews and soups. Along with various root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, turnips, rutabeggar, parsnips, beets etc.)

Jennifer

Edited 03/29/13 5:31 PM
Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I think the root veggies are good ideas. I have only learned to like sweet potato since December after a life time of not liking it. The difference was roasting it in with other veggies. Which is delicious to me but the overly sweetened mush made of them at family dinners had sickened me on them. I am learning so much. A bit of root veggies could be blended to add some thickness to a stew or soup much like tomato sauce is added.
Great ideas. Keep them coming. I keep trying to be plant based and get closer each round. I keep learning to rethink the menu.

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

If you boil red lentils in a small about of water, they will turn into a puree similar to tomato sauce. You can add paprika to get a more reddish color and some seasonings used in spaghetti sauce if that's what you want it for. Roasted red peppers make a good substitute for chunks of tomatoes.

Posted Friday, March 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wow, I can really see the lentils as a good item to make a sauce or use in stews. All these ideas are really helping me expand my knowledge. Until you cannot eat tomato products you do not realize how much tomato is used. This is good information. Other ideas? I welcome them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 205 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org