21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Banana papaya green smoothie
Created on: 10/12/13 03:56 PM Views: 500 Replies: 3
Banana papaya green smoothie
Posted Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Hi all, I just made a super-easy and tasty green smoothie that I thought I'd share with you - blend the following: 3 bananas, 1/2 of a papaya, 2 handfuls of leafy greens (I've got a mix of spinach, kale, and swiss chard). Blend these ingredients with 2-3 cups of water (depending on how thick you want the smoothie to be). This yields a big batch of green smoothie - I was able to nearly fill two large mason jars. My day hadn't started out great; I slept in and so I was already running behind on all my Saturday errand-running. But when I made this batch of green smoothie, it felt like I had done something good for myself. And not only am I getting vitamins and minerals in this tasty drink, but I'm also getting hydrated. Win-win! Happy Saturday everyone, and for any other Canadian Kickstarters, happy Thanksgiving weekend! Very Happy

RE: Banana papaya green smoothie
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

This smoothie sounds great. Thanks ! Speaking of smoothies I have read different opinions about drinking your greens. Would love some input from Susan as to what she thinks. Some people say it spikes blood sugar and should only be considered an occasional treat and others drink them daily as a great healthy addition to a plant based diet. I love the idea of getting your greens in through a smoothie. And is it different if you use a blender versus a juicer ? I believe the juicer collects the fiber outside of the drink and the blender includes it. ( ?) Thanks so much !!!!!

Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I'd be interested in Susan's opinion on this also - I've read differing opinions, too.

As for myself, I imagine the green smoothie wouldn't spike your blood sugar like a green juice might.

If you're making a green smoothie, you're also getting the fiber (since everything is going into the drink and nothing is being extracted out of it).

If you run the greens through a juicer, you'd be removing the fiber, so I can see how that could spike your blood sugar.

Then again, I'm not an expert - I just enjoy tasty food and drinks Smile

Edited 10/14/13 5:30 PM
Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Update: I've finally gotten myself a Vitamix (after wanting one for years) - yay!! I foresee many more smoothies in my future Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 488 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org