21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: stevia and monk fruit sweetener, thoughts?
Created on: 01/22/14 01:42 PM Views: 412 Replies: 1
stevia and monk fruit sweetener, thoughts?
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I heard great things about stevia but it seems when I try it, I have a lot of bloating and don't feel good in my stomach. did / does anyone else have this problem?

I have also tried something called monk fruit, which they all say is natural and not like artificial for example Splenda, or Equal.

But if my goal is to clear out my taste buds and really not be so hooked onto 'sweet' ( I have a very big sweet toothe!) maybe, it's a wise idea to avoid even these Stevia and Monk fruit items though, they are natural? Should I just have my tea and coffee with non-dairy millk for now, and have real sugar (a teaspoon) instead...

Would love to hear your experiences with these~
This is a treasure of a community! I am really very thank-ful to meet you all

RE: stevia and monk fruit sweetener, thoughts?
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM

kittens09 wrote:

I heard great things about stevia but it seems when I try it, I have a lot of bloating and don't feel good in my stomach. did / does anyone else have this problem?

I have also tried something called monk fruit, which they all say is natural and not like artificial for example Splenda, or Equal.

But if my goal is to clear out my taste buds and really not be so hooked onto 'sweet' ( I have a very big sweet toothe!) maybe, it's a wise idea to avoid even these Stevia and Monk fruit items though, they are natural? Should I just have my tea and coffee with non-dairy millk for now, and have real sugar (a teaspoon) instead...

Would love to hear your experiences with these~
This is a treasure of a community! I am really very thank-ful to meet you all

We just use real sweet things for things that need to be sweetened - real maple syrup, molasses, raw sugar, fruit (banana and apple sauce are two favorites). We have in the past used agave but we rarely use that these days (though it's still available - it dissolves really well in cold liquids which is nice). I figure, if I want sweet, why not just have sweet, y'know? The only reason to avoid basic sugar, from a vegan perspective, is because of the way it is processed/bleached. Sugar is already plant based (either cane or beet), it's only when it is processed through bone char that it becomes a vegan issue (animal product involved).

Added sugar, like added fat, is a whole other issue. Removing all the added sugar and learning to taste the sweetness in foods as they are - a plain baked potato is actually sweet once you're not used to things that are made with lots of processed sweeteners.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 358 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org