21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: B12
Created on: 01/22/14 06:19 PM Views: 672 Replies: 3
B12
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Dear Ms. Levin, What is your take on Cyanocobalamin Versus Methylcobalamin

Se comment below and web references.

Action item: If you have any vitamin B-12 supplements, check the ingredients label right now to see what form of vitamin B-12 they contain. If they contain cyanocobalamin, throw them out!

Cyanocobalamin is a cheap, synthetic chemical made in a laboratory. It's virtually impossible for you to find this form in nature. Low-end vitamin manufacturers use it because it can be bought in bulk and added to products with claims that they "contain vitamin B-12!" What they don't tell you is that the vitamin is bound to a toxic, poisonous cyanide molecule that must then be removed from your body by your liver. Cyanocobalamin is also up to 100 times cheaper than the higher quality methylcobalamin which we'll talk about below.

from: http://www.naturalnews.com/032766_cyanocobalamin_vitamin_B-12.html#ixzz2rAgh5oa7

http://www.dadamo.com/B2blogs/blogs/index.php/2004/02/07/cyanocobalamin-versus-methylcobalamin?blog=27

RE: B12
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM

They are both better than no B12 - that is for absolute certain. However, if you are not restricted by any financial or accessibility barriers, then methyl-cobalamin might be the better choice.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I am fun of vegan diet but I have started to worry about the lack of B12 vitamin. I have read that B12 is a key nutrient in many tasks of our body such as the formation of red blood cells and proper functioning of the nervous system and it is not found in any plant except in some very specific types of algae such as Chlorella. They say that Vitamin B12 deficiency causes serious health problems and can develop into anemia and nervous system related diseases. In fact, the vast majority of physicians refuse vegan diets in infants and children because at these ages and stages of growth can cause severe health problems and even deaths have been reported multiple babies by anemia associated with veganism.

Is this true? What are the best supplements of B12?

Thanks

iil888

Posted Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It's getting hard to distinguish between trolls and spammers because their messages are sometimes a combination of both. Hopefully the above post from iil888 will be removed soon but perhaps I should address it in case people read it before it's taken down.

B12 deficiency may well be problematic but the key fact is that all diets are dependent on B12 supplements in this day and age.

Every factory farmed animal is given B12 supplements in one form or another. Furthermore I would say most if not all grass-fed farm animals are given B12 supplements either directly or in the form of cobalt salt licks or pastures sprayed with cobalt solution. People eating omnivorous diets don't realise that they're getting this massive indirect B12 supplement and will laugh at vegans for having to take B12 supplements whilst in actuality they're consuming more B12 supplements than we are. And that's before you even take into account the B12 present in all the multivitamins they're taking.

Hopefully the above information will put people's minds at rest. In the meantime if I ever find myself in Spain I definitely will not use the legal services of burgueraabogados.com (as linked to at the bottom of iil888's post and in his signature) and I'll also advise my relatives in Spain to avoid them.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 794 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org