21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vitamin D and calcium?
Created on: 03/31/13 01:21 AM Views: 663 Replies: 1
Vitamin D and calcium?
Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Recently I saw a doctor and got my blood drawn. THe test indicated low Vitamin D. I have heard this vitamin mentioned always in conjunction with calcium, does this mean that the two usually occur together in nature, and in most of our diet?

The doctor said for women (I'm a 28 year old female) this is very crucial (I am guessing because of the risks for osteoporosis) and said...I need 1000 mg a day! Does that sound normal, or even doable? Would I need a multivitamin? I thought most of Vitamin D comes from milk...so hoping that non-dairy milk may contain it, or otherwise I'd need supplements, yes?

Thanks so much guys =)

RE: Vitamin D and calcium?
Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Vitamin D is important for bone health, like calcium. And they do help regulate each other. As long as you are eating plenty of leafy greens and beans, you will get your calcium. Because vitamin D is not really a vitamin at all, it is virtually impossible to get from dietary sources (unless those sources are supplemented). Milks are usually supplemented with D, whether they be plant milks or cow's milk.

The natural source of D is sunshine. And if you are not getting enough sun exposure, and most of us are not, then you may need a supplement. The recommended intake amount is 600 IU (I think you mean IUs not milligrams). The upper limit you should take is 4000 IU per day. Taking 1000 IU is fine, per your physician's orders. You should continue to get checked to make sure it's working!

D is not manufactured from milk, but rather from hair and skin of animals, since that's where it is made. You can get veg versions of D - just check the labels.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 109 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: JenniferJohnson, Sakura

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org