21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Smart Balance, butter, oils
Created on: 03/31/13 01:25 AM Views: 1710 Replies: 8
Smart Balance, butter, oils
Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Recently I posted a question regarding oils in general, and I'm glad that these are not necessary as we can get them naturally (nuts, etc.) However, if I really want to avoid processed oils, would that include things like Smart Balance which are vegan?

Also this is kind of a dumb question lol. But is frosting, the kind usually used for baking, decorating cookies, usually vegan? It seems to be, when I see the ingredients. If I wanted to make a healthier home-made version of butter or frosting, how do I do this? Just mix butter with turbinado or brown sugar / molasses?

Thanks guys =) Love this community and the support from all of you is what keeps me going!

RE: Smart Balance, butter, oils
Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 3:18 AM

"Just mix butter with turbinado or brown sugar / molasses?" -- well, "butter" isn't vegan, so that wouldn't work.

Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Oops, I meant perhaps a similar vegan substitute then.

Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Even vegan butter substitutes are considered processed oils. Although not healthful per se (pure sugar), a low-fat icing could be a simple drizzle of soy milk mixed with confectioners/powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Sometimes that can do the trick while avoiding all the fat!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Frostings are usually *vegetarian* in that they don't contain meat, but they are not *vegan* because they usually contain butter and/or milk. Commercial frostings also usually contain partially hydrogenated fats as well (shortening).

Yes, a vegan margarine plus plant milk and sweetener can make an acceptable frosting for a special occasion - but you'd also need to put it on a *vegan* cake (most cakes use butter, eggs, milk - vegetarian but not vegan). There are, however, alternatives for that too - plant milk, vegan margarine, egg replacer (ground flax, for example, or a commercial product like Ener-G egg). It's a great option if you've got non-vegan friends/family and there's an event like a birthday - you'd be able to share in the treat without any animal products involved. But, keep it to one small slice and not an everyday event.

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

yes - this is just what was on my mind. being an ESOL teacher, we do weekly treats or just sometimes I want to bring in something fun, well I thought to try and make a small batch of vegan cupcakes. I only teach about 8-10 kids at a time, anyway the actual cake part seems easy enough, lots of great egg-replacers.

With the frosting is there a specific recipe? Do I just use like...smart balance and confectioner's sugar, and just mix it up like that? Sorry, I'm not a very good baker/cook. One good thing about this kickstart, it's going to get me experimenting a lot more in the kitchen! hopefully it will help me to save more $ in the long run.

but yea, maybe i'll get my mom or a friend to help when i actually do the baking. =)

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

use your favorite frosting recipe - we usually use margarine, vanilla, confectioner's sugar, a wee bit of plant milk to get it smooth, and then add cocoa or other flavor as desired. Really simple

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Why not make a "snack cake" that doesn't require a frosting? One with spices, raisins, nuts, or make a gingerbread cake? If you feel you must put a topping of some sort on the cake, gingerbread is delicious with a little applesauce on it!

Jennifer

Posted Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That sounds great! I'm not the best with cooking and baking...that's another reason actually for this kickstart, I am hoping it will teach me how to make the things I can eat on a healthy vegan diet with treats thrown in here and there. =) but gingerbread is one of my favourite flavors! i don't like cinnamon too much...but in general I like sweet things and love love dried fruits.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 274 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: chickadee, theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org