21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Soy/Tofu and Breast Cancer
Created on: 04/02/12 03:25 PM Views: 4117 Replies: 8
Soy/Tofu and Breast Cancer
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Hi, I've been a vegetarian for 21 years and now have gone Vegan for 90 days after having been diagnosed with Invasive Breast Cancer. I had a successful surgery and completed radiation treatment but opted to not do any further medicinal treatment but rather try to heal myself from the inside out nutritionally. My Oncologist/Gynocologist suggested to stay away from soy products altogether. I know there is a wealth of mixed data on this. Does anyone have any solid info on this subject? Any info or thoughts would help, including good substitutes for it in receipes. Thanks!

RE: Soy/Tofu and Breast Cancer
Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think there are a lot of variables here, most notably is the type of soy you are consuming. In other words, whole soy foods vs. processed soy foods. There have not been any controlled human studies to show exactly what would happen with or without soy foods post breast cancer treatment. If your doctor says avoid soy and you are okay with that advice, I'd say just avoid it. Why? Because soy is but one bean. Yes, it's a cheap bean used a lot, but you certainly do not need it.

More here: http://www.vndpg.org/articles/Soy-and-Breast-Cancer.php

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Susan Levin wrote:

I think there are a lot of variables here, most notably is the type of soy you are consuming. In other words, whole soy foods vs. processed soy foods. There have not been any controlled human studies to show exactly what would happen with or without soy foods post breast cancer treatment. If your doctor says avoid soy and you are okay with that advice, I'd say just avoid it. Why? Because soy is but one bean. Yes, it's a cheap bean used a lot, but you certainly do not need it.

More here: http://www.vndpg.org/articles/Soy-and-Breast-Cancer.php

And, too, some cancers are sensitive to estrogens and others are not so that would play into the factors here. Soy does contain some phytoestrogen compounds.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

As far as substitutes, it depends on what recipe and what it is used for. In stir frying, for example, mushrooms can add a similar texture and flavor absorbing ingredient. In miso soup, it can just be left out entirely if you choose. In some of the creamy applications, like puddings, it's possible to use plant milk and corn starch to get a creamy, rich pudding.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Susan & Deb R,
Thank you so much for your input. My cancer was estrogen positive. The article you quoted, Susan, was great and I printed it out to show my husband and do further reading.
Again, thanks so much.

Avoiding breast cancer
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Even though many may think Breast Cancer Awareness is not all that important, it is.  Awareness raises money, helps others to take the time to get examined, and will one day be the reasons a cure is found.

avoiding breast cancer
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The other thing that awareness does is it creates a bit of a domino effect.  If you wear a pink ribbon and hand out five more pink ribbons to others to wear, then they do the same.  It will eventually become a large amount of people with pink ribbons.

Avoiding breast cancer
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Whenever you control the modifiable risks, you’ll be able to considerably lessen the possibility of developing the cancer. This can include your food consumption, your own exercise, the amount of alcohol you ingest, and also your bodyweight.
For more information please click here

Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My Oncologist/Gynocologist suggested to stay away from soy products altogether.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 274 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org