21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Whole-wheat pastry flour
Created on: 02/09/13 10:47 PM Views: 2493 Replies: 10
Whole-wheat pastry flour
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I'm always seeing vegan recipes that call for whole-wheat pastry flour but have yet to find it anywhere. What gives?

RE: Whole-wheat pastry flour
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM

There maybe some difference but I've used regular whole wheat flour in recipes that called for the whole wheat pastry flour with no problem. So I wouldn't let it bother you if you can't find whole wheat pastry flour.

Jennifer

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

dodink58 wrote:

There maybe some difference but I've used regular whole wheat flour in recipes that called for the whole wheat pastry flour with no problem. So I wouldn't let it bother you if you can't find whole wheat pastry flour.

Jennifer

Me too... I gave up looking for the pastry flour and like Jennifer, just use whole wheat flour.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM

dodink58 wrote:

Jennifer

Me too... I gave up looking for the pastry flour and like Jennifer, just use whole wheat flour.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM

http://cookingdonelight.com/blog/2007/10/20/regarding-whole-wheat-pastry-flour/

http://healthnutnation.com/2012/12/20/the-difference-between-whole-wheat-pastry-flour-whole-wheat-flour-and-all-purpose-flour/

Edited 02/10/13 7:24 AM
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I buy in from a United Foods buying club by the 25lb bag. The best is from Great River Milling - amazing customer service, and a very finely ground product, so much like white flour in performance.
Health food stores would carry it, both prebagged and in bulk. I have seen it in my local big chain grocery store - Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills brands. I also think Hodgson Mills has one. It is becoming way more common.
I think it does make a difference. It is a finer grind, and I believe that is has less gluten, so it is used in muffins, cookies, quick breads, where you don't need the gluten and yeast action for rising. Gluten can make these baked goods tough.

Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I buy in from a United Foods buying club by the 25lb bag. The best is from Great River Milling - amazing customer service, and a very finely ground product, so much like white flour in performance.
Health food stores would carry it, both prebagged and in bulk. I have seen it in my local big chain grocery store - Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills brands. I also think Hodgson Mills has one. It is becoming way more common.
I think it does make a difference. It is a finer grind, and I believe that is has less gluten, so it is used in muffins, cookies, quick breads, where you don't need the gluten and yeast action for rising. Gluten can make these baked goods tough.

Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

loveheart wrote:

I agree, it makes a difference. Those of you using whole wheat flour will notice the difference when you switch to whole wheat pastry flour. We get Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods, but you can also get it on Amazon, and I've see it in my local grocery store as well.

On a side note, when a recipe calls for whole wheat flour, I use white whole wheat flour. White whole wheat is a different type of whole wheat, same nutritional value, but it has a milder flavor. So it tastes more like the refined white flour used in the standard American diet. So if you're finding you don't like the flavor of your foods using whole wheat flour, try using white whole wheat flour.

For more info on the grain go here, White Whole Wheat Flour.

Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I bought it at our general grocery store. The difference is the amount of gluten, I believe.

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Would the pastry flour cause a higher insulin spike since it's ground finer?

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I made delicious vegan fat-free black bean brownies (YUM!) (recipe (c) Chef Emily Webber) with whole wheat flour when it called for pastry flour. They came out fabulous just the same.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 424 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org