21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Gluten-free vegan
Created on: 12/05/13 05:16 PM Views: 2446 Replies: 17
Gluten-free vegan
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I've found that cutting gluten is really helping with my heat-flashes and other menapausal issues but finding vegan, gluten-free recipes is a challenge - can anyone PLEASE direct me to some good recipes?

Happy Holidays!

RE: Gluten-free vegan
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Gluten free-
Nourishing Meals: Healthy, Gluten Free Recipes for the Whole Family.
Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer

Vegetarian/Plant-Based Diet-
Forks Over Knives.

If It Makes You Healthy by Sheryl Crow.

Powerfoods by the editors of Whole Living Magazine.

It's all good by G.Paltrow

All of these are available on Amazon.

Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Question

Edited 12/08/13 8:06 PM
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Rolling Eyes

Edited 12/08/13 8:04 PM
Posted Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It can sometimes be hard to find recipes that are specifically both vegan and gluten-free. The easiest thing to do can be to make substitutions in vegan recipes.

For grain-based dishes, good gluten-free substitutions include: brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, and millet. I'm not a big fan of buckwheat, but despite its name it doesn't have wheat and it's also gluten-free.

Also, many recipes that emphasize using whole, unprocessed foods are often gluten-free (even if they're not advertised as such).

If you stick with whole foods (including the whole grains listed above), beans, lentils, fresh veggies and fruits, and nuts & seeds, you can eat very healthily (and vegan) without any gluten.

Processed foods very often include gluten, and processed "gluten-free" foods are often not very healthy (they're often filled with high-glycemic flours, devoid of much nutrition).

The trouble with gluten is that it's often hidden and can be difficult to detect even when reading labels, as there are many ingredients within processed products that either contain gluten or have been processed with gluten.

If you go to either celiac.com or celiac.ca, these websites have lists of foods that commonly contain gluten as well as lists of foods that are naturally gluten-free. You don't have to have celiac to benefit from the wealth of info on these sites (I myself suspect I have a gluten sensitivity and have found these sites to be quite useful - just don't get too sucked in to all the other articles on the sites - it can lead to lots of time-wasting, lol).

All the best with the vegan gluten-free cooking! Smile

Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I've never tried to eat gluten free. I've noticed an increase of articles about gluten. I just never thought I needed too.

I always felt it might be too hard to make that change but as I learn more I know I will have to change soon. I can't eat bread the same way.

When you know better you do better.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gluten

I found this article very informative.

Peace

Posted Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 1:08 AM

I find it funny how there are so many restrictions on diets, and so little cookbooks that seem to meet the need. Maybe there are just too few of us with "severe" issues. I have a rare disorder that gluten seems to make worse. My daughter has the same disorder and is diabetic as well. I'm a single mom of two special needs children and we all have health issues. Finding something quick and easy just doesn't seem to exist. Vegan, Low fat, low GI, gluten free, no oils or butters, and high fiber! It doesn't sound that bad, but try finding a recipe book that has easy to find products and quick meals that equal this diet for us. Not so easy! I actually have some of the recipe books listed above, and Sheryl Crow has meat in her book, and Allyson Kramer has sugar in hers, and Powerfoods has meat. I will try the other book, but it has very few vegan recipes that will cover this long list of issues. It's not that I couldn't adjust the recipes, but it makes it very hard when you have so many things to adjust for, and then you are paying for a book that only has a few that you can use. I'm just overwhelmed and feeling like there isn't much hope. I have picky kids too, so it has to taste good. My autistic daughter does not do well with change, but she has lost some weight and is trying new vegan foods, so I'm really proud of her. I think when I find some recipes, I will write a book, because I'm just not finding anything on my own.

Posted Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM

@KatBurch,

Have you checked out the Happy Herbivore website? All of their recipes are WFPB (whole-foods, plant-based), no oil or butter ever, high fiber, low fat. There might be some great ideas there to help you and your family.

They've got lots of recipes on their site, plus there are many Happy Herbivore cookbooks. Also, they've got meal plans that you can sign up for - I've been getting their meal plans since around December-ish, and I've found that they make things really easy to stick to WFPB.

Oh yeah - and for any of their recipes that might have gluten or soy, they always suggest substitutions that will work well with the recipe (I don't know if those are things you like or if they're things you're trying to avoid - just wanted to mention that in case).

Personally, I'm a big fan of theirs Very Happy

Edited 06/06/15 12:07 PM
Posted Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM

I haven't tried their site yet, but it sounds promising! Thanks so much for the help. I'll check that out, and anything has got to help at this point... Thanks bunches Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM

KatBurch, if this helps, I have found books on vegan or plant based eating at the Library. I've been through so many, that I go there first, and then on-line, facebook or pinterest to hunt down recipes. I had to make myself a Vegan board on Pinterest to keep all that I can eat there. I have a gluten allergy, dairy allergy, mushroom, fish, walnuts, and just about every other normal food others can eat, I can't. I just stare in amazement and wonder what it would be like to eat foods with impunity and not have a problem. I admire people who can, whether they are plant based or not. Anyway, sorry to go on and on. I feel bad for your struggles, but know there is hope! My kids since they were really little enjoyed the simple dishes. And I was a short order cook. Not easy, but I wanted them to eat. So, their favorites were rice and vegetables, and tofu with steamed kale, and burritos. I found some great Rice wraps at Trader Joe's. Not the flour fun flavor and comfort, but it is nice to find something besides lettuce, cabbage to wrap the fixins' in. Smile I hope you find peace and ease in your cooking. Take Care, Cindy Smile

Posted Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 2:34 AM

Thanks so much! I found them, and I found a few more on Amazon that I'm going to try. I have been really overwhelmed by a lot of this, but I'm starting to find things now, so I might make it after all. Smile

Posted Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 3:40 AM

books or wraps or food? Smile

Posted Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM

All three.. I found a guy named David Wolfe, and a girl named Ella, and Allyson Kramer. I found a few others too. I found that if I look up gluten free vegan, I can modify the sugar items and sub out some fats. It's still work, but it is what it is. Thanks...

Posted Monday, June 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM

That's wonderful!!!! Smile

Posted Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:43 AM

Yeah.. We are doing much better. I just experienced a weird sensation, which I guess is great. I have been using fruits and raisins to sweeten everything for a while now, and my mother had some sugar out, so I tried it again. It tasted like a bad chemical. I guess that's a good sign, at least I hope that's the case, and I'm not having a weird reaction from something. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks really. Your advice helped a lot. Smile

Posted Monday, June 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Such wonderful, wonderful news! Smile

Yes, you will begin to taste the chemicals in all of the processed foods. When you begin to clean up the diet and make even the smallest of changes, that ol' detox of the body begins rather quickly. And natures foods really taste even sweeter and just so good.

It's really amazing isn't it? Smile A very good sign. I think others would agree.

I know how difficult food allergies are. I have a very limited selection and it's alright. I just keep eating the same ol' stuff daily, but I feel better than ever.

Keep on keepin' on. It's so nice to share and read how you are doing.

Take Good Care and when days or moments get a little tough, grab a piece of fruit, breathe and smile and know that you are doing something wonderful for you cells and well-being. Smile

Posted Monday, June 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Such wonderful, wonderful news! Smile

Yes, you will begin to taste the chemicals in all of the processed foods. When you begin to clean up the diet and make even the smallest of changes, that ol' detox of the body begins rather quickly. And natures foods really taste even sweeter and just so good.

It's really amazing isn't it? Smile A very good sign. I think others would agree.

I know how difficult food allergies are. I have a very limited selection and it's alright. I just keep eating the same ol' stuff daily, but I feel better than ever.

Keep on keepin' on. It's so nice to share and read how you are doing.

Take Good Care and when days or moments get a little tough, grab a piece of fruit, breathe and smile and know that you are doing something wonderful for you cells and well-being. Smile

Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 2:32 AM

I've never tried to eat gluten free. I've noticed an increase of articles about gluten. I just never thought I needed too.

Prom dresses

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 107 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org