21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: ?At home type 2 diabetes test?
Created on: 02/10/13 02:38 PM Views: 844 Replies: 2
?At home type 2 diabetes test?
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

There are so many "at home" tests these days, such as pregnancy tests. Is there one for type 2 diabetes? My parents have both been diagnosed with it and I'm concerned I maybe one of the many undiagnosed cases. Currently I'm without health insurance so would prefer to be able to make a preliminary check at home before consulting a doctor. (I'm 54, my parents are 78 & 79.)

Jennifer

RE: ?At home type 2 diabetes test?
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hi Jennifer - before I was actually diagnosed I used a friend's glucose meter and did a little self-test after a dinner out (pasta of all things Smile) He brought a new lancet for me to use. I tested right before dinner, then two hours later. My scores were elevated so that's what made me speak to my doctor about it. I had no symptoms whatsoever as far as thirst, frequent urination etc.

I'm not sure if this is recommended but maybe you could use a clean lancet from one of your parent's supply and try it out? Your parents can certainly help you decipher the score. It's not the same as a lab test, but might leave enough of a question mark to make you want to pursue this with your own doctor? Just a suggestion....

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

RE: ?At home type 2 diabetes test?
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

doing a quick test might be possible but it is in no way diagnostic - there are so many variables that could cause a blood sugar spike (hormones, illness - whether you're currently sick, coming down with or rcuperating, caffeine intake, certain 'natural' ingredients like chicory and licorice, etc). Better off getting a simple A1C blood test - as a longer term average, it's a much better video of your blood sugar than the snapshot of a finger stick. There are some home A1C tests, whether they are at all reliable is a question I can't answer. The endocrinologist I used to see actually had an in-office A1C machine that used a finger stick and while we chatted over how I was doing, it would process and give her the most up to date reading possible.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 139 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org