21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Nuts, dark chocolate allowed?
Created on: 04/01/13 01:26 AM Views: 920 Replies: 3
Nuts, dark chocolate allowed?
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I note in the 21-day meal plan that nuts are not mentioned, or if they are, forgive me I must have over-looked it.

Does this mean that we should not be taking in nuts at all, even in small amounts ( almond, pecans ) how about seeds, like sunflower and pumpkin seeds?

Lastly, I think during the February kickstart, one person shared an interesting article or mentioned that chocolate contained bugs in it! Is this true for even marketed 'vegan' dark chocolate? I just want to make sure, if I feel like a small piece of dark chocolate now and then, that it does not have bug / insect parts in it!!

RE: Nuts, dark chocolate allowed?
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Nuts and seeds are higher in fat. If you need to gain weight or are a seriously intense athlete, a little bit of nuts/seeds or their butters is probably okay. But, for most folks, the kickstart is part of a weight loss goal (in addition to moving to a plant based lifestyle) which means you want to limit the higher fat foods like nuts and avocado, as well as not using added fats (like cooking with oil).

As far as 'bug parts', it's not just chocolate. Pretty much anything you buy, whether it's quinoa or chocolate, may contain some random small amount of bug parts. After all, the bugs don't know that the plant is being harvested, they're just having lunch. They get scooped up with the plant and, unless they are really BIG HUGE bugs, they don't even get noticed by anyone to be removed.

There was, however, a discussion in the news media last year about "natural" coloring in some products using cochineal instead of artificial red dye. Cochineal is made from a particular type of beetle, which makes it non-veg*n.

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Ah I see - thank you for the clarification.

For me, I'm more about the lifestyle and philosophy, as well as simply being healthier ( eating too much junk in general. ) I'm regular weight, but have a history of over-eating and compulsive which OA meetings have helped me with a ton!

Mainly I avoid the commercial jars like Peanut butter (allergic to all peanuts anyway) and Nutella (oh god, most addictive substance I feel) but I'm hoping this kickstart will encourage me to try new nuts for a healthier snack. As opposed to cookies and cheez-its!

That is really still so crazy to me about the bugs in chocolate - I never ever would have thought! A good reason to avoid I guess. Fruit is better =)

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

it's not just chocolate though - and chocolate may actually have less than other things (like grains) in some cases.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 393 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org