21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: dr saying i cant be a vegetarian on acct of pancre
Created on: 03/26/13 02:39 PM Views: 2036 Replies: 8
dr saying i cant be a vegetarian on acct of pancre
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I am having to take creon which is made from pork. I am not making digestive enzymes. No elastase, either. Any suggestions? They ( drs) say I must eat lean meats.

RE: dr saying i cant be a vegetarian
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

"lean" is relative - "lean" chicken is "lean" only in comparison to the fat content of "regular" chicken, but is much higher in fat content than, say, lentils or quinoa.

If the ONLY medication available and necessary to health is animal-based, then okay maybe you won't be 100% vegan but you'll be alive and have more time to sort out the options as far as other medications or treatments.

What exactly is it that you aren't able to digest properly? Generally, fats are an issue (thus the suggestion to stick with lean meats). But, if you can't digest fiber (for example), that would be a whole other matter since a whole food vegan way of eating has quite a bit of both soluble and insoluble fiber.

--DebR

dr saying i cant be a vegetarian
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM

oops

Edited 03/26/13 2:52 PM
digestive enzymes
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I don't make, protease, amylase, or lipase. I no elastase either. A
Cannot digest protein or fsa without the enzymes. Am deficient in vit d and a as they are fat soluable. Before enzymes I was only getting simple sugars. And had blood sugar probs, diarrhea. I have really been sick and am getting better, now. Elastase is found in collagen. I just don't think there is a vegan, or even vegetarisn alternative. If there is, maybe someone on this list can tell me. I don't much like meat fir lots of reasons.

digestive enzymes
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I don't make, protease, amylase, or lipase. I no elastase either. A
Cannot digest protein or fsa without the enzymes. Am deficient in vit d and a as they are fat soluable. Before enzymes I was only getting simple sugars. And had blood sugar probs, diarrhea. I have really been sick and am getting better, now. Elastase is found in collagen. I just don't think there is a vegan, or even vegetarisn alternative. If there is, maybe someone on this list can tell me. I don't much like meat fir lots of reasons.

Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Then by all means take the enzymes!

Also, most plant based proteins (beans, legumes, quinoa, etc) are easier to digest than meats - your body doesn't have to work as hard to break down plant protein as it does to break down muscle tissue (which is what meat is). Add in that plant protein contains very little fat, you're making it easier for your body in that respect as well.

--DebR

RE: dr saying i cant be a vegetarian on pancre
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Yay! Bingo! Turns out that best info from Mayo Clinic, Cleveland clinc actually advocates a vegetarian diet for people with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. One must however use cooked veggies and fruits. I still have to take the enzymes at the moment, and must take supplements of b, d, a, k, and some others. But I do t have to eat meat or eggs or cheese as long as I find another protein source. Can't have much beans, tho, and no soy. Not a big deal.

RE: dr saying i cant be a vegetarian on pancre
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Yay! Bingo! Turns out that best info from Mayo Clinic, Cleveland clinc actually advocates a vegetarian diet for people with pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. One must however use cooked veggies and fruits. I still have to take the enzymes at the moment, and must take supplements of b, d, a, k, and some others. But I do t have to eat meat or eggs or cheese as long as I find another protein source. Can't have much beans, tho, and no soy. Not a big deal.

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Great! Try quinoa - grain but a good source of protein as well. And lentils might work better than beans - protein source but break down a bit faster/easier than beans do. Go with smaller beans like white beans and red beans rather than kidney beans and such. Re-cooking them helps them break down a bit as well, so you might want to cook a bunch, stash them in the fridge, then use them the next day in whatever meal you're cooking.

Also, if you're no longer overtaxing the system by eating meat and dairy and such (fats, heavy proteins), then something like beans might become easier to handle over time.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 390 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kayleenhoran

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org