21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Countdown
Created on: 08/27/13 01:38 PM Views: 3149 Replies: 18
Countdown
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Is everyone ready for a new Kickstart? COUNTDOWN starts today!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

RE: Countdown
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Not doing it this go round. I won't be able to shop in time, so I am going to do it Nov to correspond with the changing season. But I will still count down! ha! Very Happy Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I love this lifestyle.

I feel satisfied knowing I am no longer contributing to the suffering of animals.

I feel empowered knowing I no longer believe the food pyramid which was not based on nutrition but on promoting the dairy and cattle industry.

I feel content knowing I am reducing my carbon footprint and through my actions encourage others awareness.

I want to encourage everyone to participate even if it is not for the complete 21 days. Even one vegan day is better than no vegan days.

yes I am so ready to begin again.

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I'm ready to get back on track. Not eating meat but have gotten off track while going back and forth to the hospital with a family member hospitalized. We've been eating out most of the time and not always making great choices. A 21 day kickstart is probably just what I need!

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Hi Folks, Newbie here. I am so excited to get started. I have already been eating as much vegan as possible over the past week. I watched Forks Over Knives and immediately wanted to clear out the fridge.
Does anyone have any tips for giving up yogurt? That is the only thing I think I may struggle with. I have it every morning. I like the almond yogurt but the way I would eat, it would be very expensive.
Thank, Jayter

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Hi Folks, Newbie here. I am so excited to get started. I have already been eating as much vegan as possible over the past week. I watched Forks Over Knives and immediately wanted to clear out the fridge.
Does anyone have any tips for giving up yogurt? That is the only thing I think I may struggle with. I have it every morning. I like the almond yogurt but the way I would eat, it would be very expensive.
Thank, Jayter

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I miss my yogurt in the morning too. Have not been able to find any vegan yogurt in my area, so, I just do without. Had to find a whole new routine. I still miss it tho. Anyone with any suggestions?

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Still working on making almond milk yogurt. Can't use commercial almond milk - it is designed to not separate or anything so it didn't 'take' to the cultures well. Homemade almond milk worked but we didn't drain the milk enough so it was a bit grittier than we liked. Someone suggested using almond butter and water to make almond milk and avoid the grit so that's next on the agenda.

There are also soy and coconut based yogurts that you might try (the soy yogurts are about the same price range as good quality dairy yogurts). I don't do large quantities of soy and the coconut yogurt was too, hmm, "coconutty" for me (flavor and texture).

With all that said, I've made yogurt into more of a treat than a daily thing. Just as we've made So Delicious coconut or almond based ice cream a treat instead of half gallons of dairy ice cream. I make homemade granola and put that plus some good (often locally made) jam into the yogurt and really savored each spoonful instead of 'just' eating a yogurt.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Where do you get the cultures to make your own yogurt?
I think I'd like to experiment...muahahaha Twisted Evil

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Thanks DebR, some good ideas. I think I will try the soy yogurt but will most definitely cut back as I too do not like to eat too much soy.

Does you (or anyone else) have a go to quick breakfast the sticks to your ribs?

Jayter

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quick breakfast? Oatmeal. If you don't have time to cook it in the morning, put the rolled oats plus liquid (plant milk or water) in the fridge, covered, overnight. Then eat it cold or warm it quickly however you want. Add cinnamon, dried fruit, whatever. (My hubby has a bowl of oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter and a sprinkle of raisins and vegan chocolate chips every morning)

Whole grain/multi grain toast with peanut butter

Cold cereal with plant milk

My son likes leftover brown rice warmed in some plant milk on the stove top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of agave. Almost but not quite rice pudding.

As far as the yogurt starter, I get it at a local place that stocks all sorts of starters for beer, wine, cheese, etc. Disclaimer: the yogurt bacteria were cultured on dairy. Once I get a good handle on it, I can use the almond yogurt to be the starter for the next batch so it'll get diluted along the way to eventually negligible. Or, I'll find a non-dairy starter (still looking for that one).

Making yogurt is pretty easy - you can even do 'direct set' by using a cup of the live active yogurt made with soy or other plant milks as the starter.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thanks Bugsmom Razz
Some good suggestions there. I tried the Soy yougurt, not bad but would definitely not eat it as much as the Greek Yougurt I was eating.

Anyone have a good source for quick weeknight meals. I'm cooking for a family of 4 with 2 of the four not being so adventerous with new food.

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Try draining the soy yogurt a bit through a bit of cheesecloth or clean, new, knee high hose (get the 'sandal foot' style, it works better lol). That will remove some of the whey and make it thicker and creamier, more like Greek style dairy yogurt. Look for yogurts that are just the plant milk and cultures basically - if it's got pectin or any kind of 'gum' it won't release the whey as easily (which is by design, BTW).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Jayter wrote:

Thanks Bugsmom Razz
Some good suggestions there. I tried the Soy yougurt, not bad but would definitely not eat it as much as the Greek Yougurt I was eating.

Anyone have a good source for quick weeknight meals. I'm cooking for a family of 4 with 2 of the four not being so adventerous with new food.

Yogurt recipe from Happy Herbivore

Quick Meal Plans from Happy Herbivore

And just her general recipe page which are all easy, delicious, and most are quick.

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM

For quick weeknight meals, with a mix of eating styles, the "Garanimals" approach is good (remember them? mix'n'match kids' clothing line) Rather than cooking pasta and mixing in meat sauce, cook pasta, marinara, and meat separately then each person can fix a plate as they choose. Tex-mex stuff like burritos, nachos, tacos, chili also work well like this. Stir fry works - cook the meat (chicken or whatever) separately and let folks add it or not. To make it fast, cook up a bunch of ingredients ahead of time, for instance, bake up 4 chicken breasts and cut up or shred the meat and store in the fridge. Cook up ground meat (taco filling meat) and likewise store it. Cook a batch of beans and store, rice and pasta ditto. Then grab a bit of A, some of B, and a bunch of C (fresh and frozen veggies) and you've got dinner.

--DebR

Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

dollgirl wrote:

Not doing it this go round. I won't be able to shop in time, so I am going to do it Nov to correspond with the changing season. But I will still count down! ha! Very Happy Very Happy

I actually don't necessarily feel that you have to start exactly on Day 1. I can't start today, but I'm starting tomorrow. I'll simply extend the kickstart for me to Day 22 since I started a day late. I figure, it's better for me to start late than never Wink . Since I make my own menu plans using the guidelines, I guess it matters less to me if I start one day late or not.

But I totally understand the thinking behind delaying starting because you can't start on time.

Djuna

Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I just realized that the September countdown begins TODAY. I've not shopped for it but think I have enough here for a few days to get by. And I can also mine the lovely garden that some friends have planted.

Life does not always come at us fully prepared and perfect so this should be an interesting 21 days.

Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I just realized that the September countdown begins TODAY. I've not shopped for it but think I have enough here for a few days to get by. And I can also mine the lovely garden that some friends have planted.

Life does not always come at us fully prepared and perfect so this should be an interesting 21 days.

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Whoo Hoooo, day two today. I so enjoyed day one, cannot wait for what's in store for day two. Very Happy
I had to modify a bit as I was away and trying to pack every possible ingredient was a little tough with limited room but everything worked out. The only thing I did not have was vegan tortillas. Anyone know of a good recipe to make your own. The cost to buy them is very prohibitive where I live. $9.00 for 4. Crying or Very sad
I hope everyone has a very happy vegan day two. Cool

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 196 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org