21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Watched Forks over Knives last night
Created on: 02/09/13 01:19 PM Views: 2387 Replies: 15
Watched Forks over Knives last night
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Need tips on hope to stir-fry without oil.

RE: Watched Forks over Knives last night
Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quite simple really! I was shocked too. You pour a little water or vegetable broth in your pan and add the vegetables. Add more liquid as needed. I think you are going to be surprised how easy it is!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Susan
Thank you - To my surprize, oil and butter are the most missed foods for me. I don't understand about fat soluable vitmains and no oil in the diet.

Do you know any kindred spirited RD's in Toronto ON Canada? Or any ideas of MD's who are on this path?

Nervous about doing this switch by myself.

jane

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Don't forget that there is plenty of fat in this diet, just low-fat, compared with the typical Western diet. Eight percent of broccoli is fat!

As for finding a health care professional in your area, I wish I had an easy resource for you. Normally I would suggest checking the American Holistic Medical Association, http://www.holisticmedicine.org/, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, http://www.eatright.org/programs/rdfinder/.

Both sites allow you to find someone in an area with your needs in mind. These are US-based searches, unfortunately. But perhaps there is a Canadian counterpart.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

janelosing wrote:

Am I able to find this on the computer or did you rent it somewhere? I'm interested in seeing it.

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

HunyBunny wrote:

janelosing wrote:
Need tips on how to stir-fry without oil.

Am I able to find this on the computer or did you rent it somewhere? I'm interested in seeing it.

Hi HunyBunny

My Chiropractor loaned it to me. It is in our public library but there are 968 HOLDS! 60 copies and loan period is a week so..... I think I'll buy my own DVD too. Very motivational as well as shocking.

Go to forksoverknives.com and they have a store where you can buy the DVD, book and companion cookbook.

I bought the ebook version of the cookbook from my Canadian bookstore Chapters Indigo.

janelosing - should be janenotlosing !! Sad

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

You can watch Forks over Knives for free on http://www.hulu.com/#!search?q=Forks+over+Knives

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Thanks for hulu link

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Your welcome.

Posted Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM

janelosing wrote:

Janelosing,

I see that others have mentioned it but I want to put in another vote for veggie broth.

I LOVE this method and it makes the most savory steam-fries you can imagine! I describe my process in depth the in the Plant-Based Blueprint, but basically I put a shallow layer in the pan, start with the onions, then add the broc or beans or caule or brussels sprouts, keep adding as it cooks down so you won't burn - you can even pop on the lid for awhile to cook, turning the heat down.

Deeelish!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

HunyBunny wrote:

janelosing wrote:

We watched in on NetFlix. I don't know if it's still there.

Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

deborahjm wrote:

HunyBunny wrote:
janelosing wrote:

We watched in on NetFlix. I don't know if it's still there.

Yes, you can still get it on Netflix, it just might be a wait!

Have you been to the FOK site? Just so happens they published today a "5 Minute Fitness" article I wrote for them, I am so excited and honored to be there today!

This will take you to the article and from there you can snoop all over their very rich, informative website:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-power-of-the-5-minute-fitness-break/

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM

you can watch it on Netflix instant streaming, I believe. I watched a related movie called "Vegucated" this weekend (also on Netflix streaming)--three people volunteer to follow a vegan diet for six weeks. During those six weeks, they are exposed to FOK and other resources about animal rights/conglomerate farms, etc. I found it quite fascinating, and an even more basic way to introduce veganism to my family and friends. Also enough of a motivator to get me to do this again.

Lent starts Wednesday, so I'm thinking I can commit to 40 days of vegan eating. No lifelong commitments yet...let's see how this goes. Thankfully, I have the great recipes from the last time I did the kickstart.

Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

DaddyKevin wrote:

Lent starts Wednesday, so I'm thinking I can commit to 40 days of vegan eating.

That's a great idea, Kevin. Lent just isn't the same since I've been vegan for a few years, so no meat to give up on Fridays. Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Jane, raw nuts and seeds and avocado contain more healthy nutrients than oil. If you're not convinced about low-fat, why not add a handful nuts and seeds or half an avocado to your meal instead of cooking in oil? Then you'll get lots of antioxidants and phytochemicals along with your healthy fats.

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Jane, raw nuts and seeds and avocado contain more healthy nutrients than oil. If you're not convinced about low-fat, why not add a handful nuts and seeds or half an avocado to your meal instead of cooking in oil? Then you'll get lots of antioxidants, phytochemicals and fiber along with your healthy fats.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 419 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org