21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Trying to kick the cheese addiction
Created on: 10/11/13 07:25 PM Views: 2784 Replies: 14
Trying to kick the cheese addiction
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This isn't a question so much as a comment on some things I've been having trouble with.
I'm vegetarian and am really wanting to transition to vegan. The problem is dairy (specifically, cheese). My body doesn't react well to too much dairy, and I feel so much better when I avoid it.
The problem is that this doesn't seem to make a difference in my food choices when I'm at the grocery store or am eating out.
As I'm sure many people on this forum know, dairy has physically addictive properties.
I really want to transition towards being 100% vegan, but I keep sabotaging myself by buying dairy-heavy products, even though I know they'll make me feel sick, and even though I know that the cravings will subside if I just stick it out for the first couple of weeks.
I know all this - I've done it before (a long time ago), and I felt so much better when I was mostly vegan and was avoiding dairy and also refined sugars and caffeine, etc.
Clearly I need more motivation to kick this unhealthy addiction.
I'm going to read up more on the environmental and animal-welfare benefits of being vegan. I've got a big reading list for this weekend Smile
I'm hoping that finding reasons/motivation for causes greater than myself will help me to stick to the vegan diet, even when faced with cravings.
I wish everyone on this forum (including myself) success with the Kickstart Smile

RE: Trying to kick the cheese addiction
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Good for you for planning to educate yourself further re. how avoidance of dairy is humane Very Happy

Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Thanks! Smile

First on my reading list will be "Animal Liberation", by Peter Singer. I've seen that recommended from several sources.

I've also already watched various documentaries online, such as "Vegucated". And I've seen "Forks Over Knives", and "Food, Inc".

And I've heard that the documentary "Earthlings" is supposed to be good. I've also heard it's really hard to watch. But I think I might try watching it anyway; better to educate myself than to stay in the dark, eh?

Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM

It is extremely difficult for me to expose myself to inhumane practices, tho when I'm feeling tempted to buy/eat something made from an animal's body, it certainly keeps me on a kind track. I recently passed a truck carrying cows and someone's ear was pushing past a bar--it's an image I feel haunted by Sad I commend you for trying so hard to break free of common/cruel eating practices and will fortify my occasional hankerings for milk chocolate w/ thoughts of your efforts!

Posted Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

gosh what about substituting for something similar?

I make the mac and cheese vegan.. it is really good !

Also the almond cheese and rice cheese are good. Especially if you want cheese and crackers. They don't melt the way mozzarella does. That almond cheese TASTES like mozzarella.

The last option I have is probably the BEST. Have you heard of Nacho Mama's Vegan Queso? Delicious!

http://www.nachomomsveganqueso.blogspot.com/

Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

just check carefully the ingredients in any faux cheeses - many still contain casein, dairy protein. And, too, some may be dairy free but be created using animal-based rennet (the ingredient that causes the 'milk' being used to curd up).
--DebR

Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Thanks, cch22! Smile

So far, I've come across one brand of "cheese" that I like - they sell it at my local grocery store but I can't remember the name of it offhand. I think the brand is "Earth Island" or something like that. I do like their mozzarella-flavour cheese (not on its own, but it's good if I grate it into a bowl of pasta with marinara sauce.

Eventually I'm hoping to move more towards whole foods and away from processed foods as much as I can. So I'll have to eventually cut out cheese substitutes as well. But I might go with some cheese substitutes for now as a transition food.

Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thanks, DebR! Smile

I'll make sure to check for those ingredients also when I'm choosing faux cheeses. I'm pretty sure the one brand that I like is labelled as vegan (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any of the non-vegan ingredients in it - but I'll have to double-check to be sure).

Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM

HI Sarah...
Then you will love nacho mamas vegan queso...

from the website thefatgoblin.com

It's the queso that made us famous. Our ULTIMATE VEGAN QUESO. Described by food writers, critics, tweeters, and bloggers as "amazing", "the best queso ever", "bigtime product find", "my new addiction", "full of flavor, spice and cheesy goodness" &, our favorite..."the queso that changed my life forever", our little queso literally flew off the shelves as fast as it reached the stores simply from word-of-mouth raving fans. Men who couldn't pronounce the word "vegan" told us they bought it for its great taste...and the fact that they could eat a whole jar of queso for only 160 calories. Yeah, we like that part too.

Ingredients: tomatoes, water, nutritional yeast, unbleached flour, green chiles, paprika, salt, garlic, citric acid (a natural preservative), spicesCONTAINS WHEAT

Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

there's a recipe floating around the forums here that uses cashew butter, nutritional yeast, and corn starch so it is gluten free and vegan - can be a queso (with salsa added), mac & cheese sauce (no salsa) or an alfredo sauce (no roasted peppers so it stays creamy white). It's a regular on our menu - and we've served it to non-veg folks and they REQUEST it because it's so much creamier than standard queso with melted cheese (which tends to separate and get greasy when it sits)

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Cool - I'll have to check those out!

Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

sarahthetraveller wrote:

This isn't a question so much as a comment on some things I've been having trouble with.
I'm vegetarian and am really wanting to transition to vegan. The problem is dairy (specifically, cheese). My body doesn't react well to too much dairy, and I feel so much better when I avoid it.
The problem is that this doesn't seem to make a difference in my food choices when I'm at the grocery store or am eating out.
As I'm sure many people on this forum know, dairy has physically addictive properties.
I really want to transition towards being 100% vegan, but I keep sabotaging myself by buying dairy-heavy products, even though I know they'll make me feel sick, and even though I know that the cravings will subside if I just stick it out for the first couple of weeks.
I know all this - I've done it before (a long time ago), and I felt so much better when I was mostly vegan and was avoiding dairy and also refined sugars and caffeine, etc.
Clearly I need more motivation to kick this unhealthy addiction.
I'm going to read up more on the environmental and animal-welfare benefits of being vegan. I've got a big reading list for this weekend Smile
I'm hoping that finding reasons/motivation for causes greater than myself will help me to stick to the vegan diet, even when faced with cravings.
I wish everyone on this forum (including myself) success with the Kickstart Smile

Sarahthetraaveller,

For some reason I just saw your message and am inspired to respond.

Here's what happened to me. I was very successful at giving up most dairy, even cheese, after several shortlived attempts over the years. As a matter of fact, ALL dairy was gone for several months until a trip we took to Kona several years ago. As we landed, I remember thinking "hmm, a little half and half in a cup of kona coffee sounds really good" - so that's what I did that week, and onward for another 2 years! A tiny hook, but a hook nonetheless.

I finally snapped out of it by forcing myself to watch - the likes of which I'd seen several times before - video of a dairy cow having its horns burned out. That did it. To this day, when I see a carton of milk or a chunk of cheese, I see that cow.

Find something that connects with your care button, whatever it is - whether health or animal welfare. All the substitutes in the world won't help if you don't have the 'why' behind it. You may need to do sommething edgy as I did!

Another thing that helped previously was the phrase "animals and their secretions" - really, that's what dairy is!

Hope this helps my friend,

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thanks, Lani!

Yeah, that's why I've been reading up as much as I can on the animal welfare/environmental side of things. I'm in the midst of reading two books: "Animal Liberation", and "Main Street Vegan".

I was also planning on watching the documentary "Earthlings" last week, but my schedule got super-busy and I wasn't able to. I do plan to watch it sometime this weekend, even though I know it'll be tough to watch.

I've still got many more things I plan to read and watch, and I've barely scratched the surface so far, but even so the things I've read in the last couple of weeks has been truly eye-opening.

Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

sarahthetraveller wrote:

Thanks, Lani!

Yeah, that's why I've been reading up as much as I can on the animal welfare/environmental side of things. I'm in the midst of reading two books: "Animal Liberation", and "Main Street Vegan".

I was also planning on watching the documentary "Earthlings" last week, but my schedule got super-busy and I wasn't able to. I do plan to watch it sometime this weekend, even though I know it'll be tough to watch.

I've still got many more things I plan to read and watch, and I've barely scratched the surface so far, but even so the things I've read in the last couple of weeks has been truly eye-opening.

Sarahthetraveller - may your mission be accomplished! Keep me posted.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Today's meals were all 100% vegan. Might seem like only a small victory so far, but I'll celebrate anyway! *happy dance* Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 161 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org