21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I need help with some substitutions
Created on: 08/28/13 05:01 PM Views: 1531 Replies: 8
I need help with some substitutions
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Hello!
I was going to be trying this in Sept. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I HATE beans, with every fiber of my being. They make me gag. The taste the texture, they are awful things. What can I substitute with so that I don't collapse from lack of protein?
Please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. I do eat a lot of nuts but I didn't know if tempeh, hummus, tofu, etc would be enough.
Basically, I am trying this diet out, of course to loose some weight, but to reduce the inflammation in my body. I have chronic debilitating back pain, and am hoping this helps somewhat.

Thank you in advance!

Edited 08/28/13 5:06 PM
RE: I need help with some substitutions
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Well, if you like tempeh, tofu, and hummus, then you do like some iterations of beans! Those are great! Grains pack quite a protein punch as well. And would you believe your vegies do too? One-third of broccoli is protein! You're not going to be low on protein even if you don't like beans. But getting that variety from tempeh, tofu, and hummus is good. Speaking of, if you can tolerate and possibly even like hummus, you should consider smashing up different beans into hummus creations. I've had black bean hummus, white bean hummus, soy bean hummus...you get the idea!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

lentils are delicious and versatile.Their texture varies widely. French lentils stay firm while red lentils become creamy. Split peas are delcious also.People tend to over estimate how much protein they really need. as far as beeans go you should try cooking them from scratch. I love to cook soaked black beans with bay leaves, a small whole peeled onion and 3-4 cloves of peeled garlic. so good! I even save the cooking water to cook rice in. yum!

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Lentils and quinoa are two of our go-to proteins (since I don't do tofu, tempeh, etc.) Hummus is chickpeas/garbanzo beans. A nice hummus can also be made from white beans (cannellini or great northern type beans).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Hello!
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I have actually not tried tempeh, but I will. It takes a little grit for me to eat tofu but I can handle a little a time mixed in with things. I will have to try the firmer lentils as suggested. I just hate pretty much anything with the texture of beans, including cooked peas. Raw peas are fine though. I know those have protein. I love hummus (although oddly cannot eat chickpeas whole) but I don't think it would be the same making a bean hummus, I imagine it would be kind of like refried beans, ugh gagging already Smile.
Maybe I could sub some nuts in place of beans, I also know quinoa has considerable protein.
I am also a little concerned about iron, I tend to run low on that, but I know the dark greens have iron.
Has anyone experienced a reduction in pain on this diet? As I said before I have chronic back pain due to several disc issues. I also ( even though I am only 30) have hip pain from the beginnings of arthritis. I know this diet is supposed to be pretty anti inflammatory so I'm hoping it helps. If even just a little.

Thanks againSmile

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

As far as dark greens, make sure you include an acid with them - tomato, citrus, etc. - to make the iron more bioavailable. It's easy enough - spinach salad with a lemon vinaigrette dressing or spinach and tomato sauce in a lasagna.

--DebR

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease from my neck down. I have less pain and so does my husband. It's amazing.

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease from my neck down. I have less pain and so does my husband. It's amazing.

Posted Saturday, September 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

There's no Kickstart rule that says you have to eat beans. The only rule is that you have to act like you eat beans.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 785 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org