21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: challenges with reading labels!
Created on: 12/07/13 02:11 AM Views: 640 Replies: 3
challenges with reading labels!
Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I feel so bad. I had a granola bar today that was mainly nuts and seeds, pretty natural, however it did say 'allergens, contains tree nuts, peanuts AND milk' I didn't see the milk part at all before having it. I worry this may happen again in the future!

I'm finding today for some reason to be challenging. Maybe I am worrying so much about being 'perfect' for this kickstart? Are slip-ups normal in the beginning? I get frustrated when I need a snack on the go and get something that I'm sure is vegan but then, it isn't. Any ideas on easy, quick snacks in between meals? I've always been on the more thin side, so I am allowing myself more nuts, seeds and dried fruit to ensure I don't lose weight. but other than just apples, oranges and raw veggies, I can't really figure out definite vegan snacks.

RE: challenges with reading labels!
Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Unfortunately reading labels is a must when you are eating for your health. And also unfortunately you have to read them all the time because manufacturers sometimes change their recipes.

Most Larabars are vegan containing only nuts and dried fruit. The ones that add chocolate may have dairy products so watch that. They're good, easy to carry and can be found in most grocery stores.

Hope that helps.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Here is what our family does which we found to be helpful........

Purchase one package of organic raisins, or prunes or apricots. Do not purchase mixed fruits since their origin does not have to be noted on the package. All of the above fruits are loaded with antioxidants! And all are what they say they are!

Next, purchase one package of organic walnuts, or almonds or peanuts.

Now just mix the two packages together and put into a ziplock bag. VoilĂ 

Very Happy

Posted Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Slip-ups are normal! It's possible the allergens refer to where the bar was made. If it was made in a factory where dairy or nuts or wheat, etc., are used, they have to list it as a possible contaminant. It's not an actual ingredient.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 370 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org