21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Detox Migraine?
Created on: 04/02/13 07:57 PM Views: 1807 Replies: 8
Detox Migraine?
Posted Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Hi all,
I started the kickstart yesterday and it's going we'll so far. However, I'm suseptable to migraines and I've had a migraine since yesterday afternoon. It's a low grade one but it's persistent.

I'm wondering if it could be a detox reaction. Before the kickstart, I wasn't eating meat but I was eating a LOT of junk food, especially cheese and chocolate. I went fron mega junk tood all day to eating a lot of veggies and beans. So maybe my body is adjusting to the healthy food. I've also had, erm, bathroom issues (probably because of the sudden increase of fiber) which is why I'm thinking that it's detox.

Djuna

RE: Detox Migraine?
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Probably a detox effect. Rest assured that animal products are a common trigger for migraines, so you may feel better outcomes from this diet in the long run.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don't know from a medical standpoint but I felt crappy the first couple days and *tmi* my body wasn't happy with the meat I did eat for so long...I felt sluggish and yucky. Now, I'm feeling more energetic. Perhaps that's your body transferring over?

Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don't know from a medical standpoint but I felt crappy the first couple days and *tmi* my body wasn't happy with the meat I did eat for so long...I felt sluggish and yucky. Now, I'm feeling more energetic. Perhaps that's your body transferring over?

Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Thank you to all who responded. It's just very frustrating. I was eating the wrong things for weeks that included migraine-triggers like cheese and chocolate and I didn't have any migraines. Now that I'm eating the right things, I've had non-stop migraines (low-grade, it's true, and they've been off and on) since Day 1! I think I was in denial about how addicted my body really was to the junk food I was eating. This morning I feel slightly better (though the migraine is still very slight in the background). I'm really hoping it will eventually go away today.

Other than that, I have been feeling pretty good. My energy level has gone way up. I used to have to have a nap in the middle of the day because I was just exhausted. But I haven't felt that need (though I have been napping just because of the migraines but if I didn't have them, I wouldn't be). So this is a good sign.

I'm just going to continue to do what I'm doing!

Djuna

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I know I'm late, but if you're still having the migraines, you may want to try a natural laxative to help ease the detox symptoms.

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I know I'm late, but if you're still having the migraines, you may want to try a natural laxative (ie: cascara sagrada) to help ease the detox symptoms.

Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Did you stop caffene suddenly?bad idea...must be weaned off or will trigger migraine. another idea which has helped me avoid many migraines.try magnesium.you must use the powder form for best absorption.(used to be available only in europe but now i got in vitamin shop)the brand i used is called magnesium fizz.very good for leg cramps also. don't know if this will help you but wont hurt you either. plenty of water also. feel better!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 631 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org