21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for support
Created on: 09/03/12 09:45 AM Views: 22336 Replies: 97
RE: Looking for support
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Hi all - glad to see some new posts in here. My weekend was 90% kickstart and 10% not - I am not happy that I fell off the wagon - but am right back on today - and ready to move forward with this lifestyle.

I've gained 3 pounds since Friday - which is quite unsettling - but all I can do is forge ahead and know that those 3 and many more will fall off soon enough.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. My first -and probably last- dog, is getting quite old and it is very difficult to watch how quickly she is going downhill. I only wish she could talk so I would know when she is truly suffering. She's been the best dog we could ask for - and I cry almost everyday when I realize our time with her is clearly drawing to an end. I hope your dog comes through this crisis - and the stress isn't too hard on you.

I brought plenty of kickstart food with me to work to get through the day - and I should have time to pack some hummus and celery to eat in the car on the way home from my son's soccer game this evening. I'm sure my husband and son will want to stop for fast food - so I need to be prepared.

I know this sounds so trivial - but my son is the keeper for his high school team - and I get so stressed watching his games. He really beats himself up if he doesn't stop every goal - and now he is trying to earn college scholarships - so he feels even more pressure. He is quite talented - and really wants to play in college - so fingers crossed he has another good game this evening. I have a knot in my stomach just typing this! OYE!

That night job does sound pretty sweet. Hang onto that gig!

I hope everyone has a great Monday - and I'll try to check back here later this evening. Kay

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Awww how did your son do? How old is he?

/Nora

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Awe - thanks for asking. They won handily. Score was 1-0 at half-time, but final was 8-0. My Nate had a good game and got his 2nd shut-out of the season. So far, he has only let in one goal - and there was nothing he could really do to stop it - so a good season 3 games in...

I had a great day eating yesterday - but still retained my 3 pounds. Having my oatmeal now -YUM. I brought celery and hummus and some black bean chili for lunch. I will have to contemplate dinner a bit later.

I leave tomorrow for a trip to visit my family in Chicago. I asked my mom to have almond milk and oatmeal, hummus, fruit and veggies on hand. I am taking the train which runs overnight from Maryland to Chicago. Normally, I eat in the dining car, but I think this trip I'd best pack my own food. Any suggestions for things that travel easily and will fill me up?

I hope you are all having a healthy day! Kay

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Containers of hummus, whole grain crackers, and cut up veggies would make a nice dinner (Hummus travels surprisingly well, even without a fridge, but if you can manage it, packing it and the veg with a reusable cold pack is even better). I've even seen some 'to go' type packages of hummus that are single portion size (similar to the single portion packets of tuna). Then, I'd bring along an apple or pear because they're sturdier, less likely to get mushed accidentally than things like bananas and peaches. A little packet of what we call "Ogre mix" as well - it's basically trail mix but we don't mix it, we leave it in layers to start. It gets mixed as we reach in and take out handfuls. If it's for the whole lot of us (me, hubby, rapidly growing 14 yr old son) we usually include nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate bits, but if we're aiming for lower fat, it's soft dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apricot, etc), crispy dried fruit (banana chips, apple chips, that sort of thing), maybe some flaked unsweetened coconut, and a crispy cereal (similar to Grape Nuts or even simply O type cereal, things with a bit of body to them).

--DebR

Edited 09/11/12 10:42 AM
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Deb. That all sounds doable and delicious!

Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

For travel I like to make wraps of Ezekiel whole grain tortillas, hummus and veggies. My favorite is chopped cabbage and carrots, like a cole slaw blend. If the hummus isn't strongly flavored enough I add more seasoning to the veggies and wrap em up tight. They're easy to take along and eat. If they must sit for awhile, the cabbage works better than lettuce and tomato because water doesn't seep through.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering, is anyone following the menu religiously? I'm not. I do DIY practically every day. Yesterday I had tagliatelle with my own tomato sauce, just chopped tomatoes, a few soy dogs, mushrooms and onion. And the day before that I made this http://almostveganchef.com/2008/12/02/three-bean-vegan-chili/ amazing three-bean chili (highly recommended!!) without the oil.
I usually eat cereal/oatmeal in the morning, a smoothie in the evening and have left-overs for lunch.
How about you guys? Anyone else doing this?
I'm still loosing weight though! Very Happy 3 pounds now Smile

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering, is anyone following the menu religiously? I'm not. I do DIY practically every day. Yesterday I had tagliatelle with my own tomato sauce, just chopped tomatoes, a few soy dogs, mushrooms and onion. And the day before that I made this http://almostveganchef.com/2008/12/02/three-bean-vegan-chili/ amazing three-bean chili (highly recommended!!) without the oil.
I usually eat cereal/oatmeal in the morning, a smoothie in the evening and have left-overs for lunch.

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Honningmelon wrote:

Hi guys!

We've done several kickstarts already so we mostly don't follow the menus at all. We use some of the recipes and definitely the concepts (whole 'real' foods, lower fat, veggie-ful). Last night was a veggie-ful stir fry over brown basmati rice.
Similar here - cereal (cold or hot) in the morning, leftovers for lunch, DIY dinner of some sort, with a snack of fruit or something mid morning and mid afternoon (and before bed if my blood sugar is running low).
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Excellent, Deb, good to hear! Smile Sounds like you're a real pro in this Wink

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Hi all,

I started out following the menus precisely, but after a few days started doing my own thing. Oatmeal almost every morning, hummus with celery or a few whole wheat pita chips for lunch and pasta, soup or chili for dinner. Snacks have been fruit.

I am excited that the 3 pounds I put on over the weekend were gone this morning.

I started getting ready for my long train ride last night. Packed 2 kinds of hummus, celery, a few pita chips, fruit, and some whole wheat bread with low fat peanut butter and a banana to slice up and throw on when I want it. I will also take a water bottle and try to stay out of the bar car Smile

Aside from my minor transgressions with a pretzel and a few fries, I have found this lifestyle very easy to adapt to. I haven't had chocolate in 10 days - and I don't really miss it. I never thought that would happen!

I hope you all are doing great! I'm going to try to add 3G service to my ipad so I can keep up with everyone while I am away. All aboard! Kay

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

There's no way I could follow the menus exactly, that would be way too much food! Plus I've long had my morning tradition of oatmeal and berries. I follow the principles, and I've tried some of the recipes so far, and will continue to do so.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Made it to the train and enjoying the down time. Had my hummus and veggies and may fall asleep before eating anything more. I love taking the train, but 15 hours is a bit too long.

Going to the cubs game with a friend I met at wrigley field in the 80's tomorrow. I can't believe it will be my 2nd baseball game this week and this year!

Hope you all have a healthy evening! Kay

Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I got a week headstart before I found this website. I was looking for help following a change to a vegan diet. Great timing! I don't follow the online menus very closely but am staying vegan. The biggest change so far has been the wakeup of my tastebuds. Everything tastes so amazing now: a fresh orange or strawberry, or the garden bolonese sauce I made for dinner tonight. I knew my tastebuds had been compromised over the last few years, but this was a really pleasant surprise to have them wake up again! Have also lost 6 lbs which is another wonderful "side effect" of the diet!

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Welcome Mimi! I agree, strawberries and nectarines are like candy to me now.

So far staying vegan while traveling has been easy another day of baseball today, so I am packing my own food and hoping to avoid the beer vendors!

I took advantage of my parent's workout room yesterday. It felt great to work up a sweat after 15hours on the train.

Hope you are all doing great. Can you believe we are half way thru the kickstart?

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

vegpedlr wrote:

For travel I like to make wraps of Ezekiel whole grain tortillas, hummus and veggies. My favorite is chopped cabbage and carrots, like a cole slaw blend. If the hummus isn't strongly flavored enough I add more seasoning to the veggies and wrap em up tight. They're easy to take along and eat. If they must sit for awhile, the cabbage works better than lettuce and tomato because water doesn't seep through.

Great tip about the cabbage rather than lettuce for packed travel lunches. Thanks - I will give it a try.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Good morning! I've been following all of the posts but haven't replied before. I'm enjoying all of the tips everyone is sharing. I went through my pantry yesterday and cleaned out almost all of the junk/candy/items containing animal products. I say "almost all" because my husband isn't interested in giving up animal products so I left a few of his staples. I have two daughters (12 & 10) who agreed to go plant-based with me for the 21 days. My girls & I have been vegetarian for about 14 months so this experience is really just about tweaking our diet & being more mindful about making healthier choices. My daughters have mentioned before that if I really didn't want them to eat unhealthy foods that I wouldn't have them in the pantry. I was watching Bill Clinton's movie, "Killer at Large" yesterday and decided that it was time to clean out the pantry. I paused the movie & got to work. I filled a large trash bag with candy, cookies, chips, and other unhealthy foods and threw it out. I then organized the pantry and took a moment to think about how happy it made me to take this step. It feels great knowing I am making a commitment to make my daughters and myself healthier. I was a little worried about what their reaction would be when they returned from school and opened the pantry looking for an after school snack. To my surprise neither of them mentioned the newly cleaned pantry. My 12 year old got a spoon of nut butter & some pretzels out for her snack and my 10 year old asked for a fruit salad. Yes! Success! For a treat my hubby had me order Chinese & he picked it up on his way home from work. He was a little disappointed that I didn't order crab rangoons but the girls didn't even seem to notice. They were happy with the veggie lo mein & garlic veggies. Now my goal is to make this a permanent way of like for my daughters & myself and to continue weaning my hubby off of animal products!

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
Mindy

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I've been AWOL for a week. In my last post, I mentioned that my black Lab was having a severe health problem. Well, it got worse and worse and consumed this entire week. Thankfully, with an ER stay, many meds, and lots of TLC and patience, she is much better and should make a full or almost-full recovery.

I haven't followed the plan at all, but I haven't been eating much in the way of animal products other than some egg whites here & there. Whatever was fast & easy was what was eaten.

Now, I am making a fresh re-start tomorrow and getting ready to do so.

It's great to see that you are doing so well and will keep up with the forum after today.

Never2Late -- great work with that train ride!
Mindi, your daughters sound like they are totally amenable to a vegan lifestyle. They will probably be the ones to convert your husband! Daughters & daddies, you know! Smile Great work!

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Welcome mindie! Great work on that pantry! Glad to have you aboard.

So happy to hear your lab is on the mend! I hope this week will be easier for you.

I had my first bad day today. Memorial service for my aunt and uncle. Starving when we got there, so ate the closest thing to vegan I could find, but it had some feta that I couldn't pick out. I later couldn't pass up the desserts, but just had one.

On the bright side, it was great to see my cousins and I worked out before we went. Hopefully a good workout and healthy eating tomorrow will get me back on track. Hope you are doing great! Kay

Posted Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Good job on making the wisest choices you could! I'm sorry you lost both your aunt & uncle. I'm sure this has been an emotional time for you.

It's been a good day food-wise. When I get a bit hungry, I eat a small amount rather than waiting to become much hungrier and eating whatever happens to be in reach.

Have a good rest of Sunday! It's a new week in which to succeed!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 371 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org