21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: How much Fat per day?
Created on: 07/29/12 10:56 AM Views: 932 Replies: 1
How much Fat per day?
Posted Sunday, July 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Hello, I found out about the Kickstart when I Googled best books to transition to becoming a Vegan. I bought the book and just finished the 21 days. I've tried to cut out meat for years but always fell off the wagon. This time around it has been the easiest tranistion, I never felt deprived and only occasionally missed cheese (my favorite snack).

My question is about fat. How much fat should I be getting per day? I track my food on MyFitnessPal.com and they have me at 41 grams per day to lose weight. I want to try to lose about 10-15 lbs. After the 3 weeks of Kickstart I only lost 2lbs. I'm a little disappointed, but I have to admit there were a couple of times I ate some high fat snacks (chips, pop tarts). Also, a couple of times I ate the Chipotle Vegetarian Bowl with Guacomole (19 g fat). However, even with those misteps I still averaged around 40g of fat per day. Is that too high?

RE: How much Fat per day?
Posted Sunday, July 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If weight loss is a goal, we would recommend about 10 percent of calories from fat or 20-30 grams of fat per day. Fortunately, most fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains fall within this range, with few exceptions like avocado. That being said, 2 pounds of permanent weight over 3 weeks is still in the right direction. A pound a week of weight loss while eating a healthful diet is usually permanent, and that's more important than fast weight loss. So good for you!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 115 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org