21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: trigger foods, making my own?
Created on: 04/01/13 01:19 AM Views: 2213 Replies: 10
trigger foods, making my own?
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Happy April 1st everyone!

So I'd love to get some perspectives and advice on this...

I have had this love/hate relationship with nutella. I am a bit embarassed but admit I have some binge / compulsive eating history and nutella, its DEFINITELY one of those things i couldn't have just one bite of and would trigger me to over-eat. Thankfully its NOT vegan and i don't know if it's the hazelnut that triggers me? or the chocolate...in any case, I'm wondering if I should avoid things like nut butters if they trigger me to over-eat. Luckily I'm allergic to peanuts so peanut butter isn't a concern.

Do any of you have similar difficulties with certain foods that tempt or trigger you to over-eat, and how have you dealt with that? Slow, baby steps or abstinence for good?

RE: trigger foods, making my own?
Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Nutella, hazelnuts, are higher in fat (even if you find or make a vegan version) so it's on the "limited" side of the kickstart anyhow, regardless of trigger or not. Add in the level of processed sugar involved - which may be the trigger more than the nuts - and it's probably not a good choice in general.

Yeah, there are some things I know are triggers to eating more and more and more... I try to also figure out "brake" foods - things that help me cut the spiral off at the pass. For example, if I do have a sweet something that triggers a desire for more and more and more, a salty thing like a dill pickle spear or particular type of multi grain, whole grain, cracker will break the cycle pretty quickly. On the other hand, sometimes I'll go a little crazy with the salty snacks and something like a cup of chamomile tea can stop that from getting out of hand.

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I'm glad you understand and it's not just me haha, who can get kind of addicted to these things! You're right though - I definitely think if I just had a few regular hazelnuts, I would not feel the same compulsion to wnat and eat it, as it happens with the Nutella because of the sugars.

That's a good idea about having something salty or sour like a pickle, to curb sugar cravings. I'll try that =)

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Yup. I had to do something because saying "Never have that", in most cases, gets that rebellious streak going and I want that thing more. There are a few things, like eggs (quiche, omelette, etc) that I have a physical reaction to, so it's easy to avoid (because I choose to not spend the day in the loo). The stuff that keeps me going back for "just one more" is the stuff I have to watch. It helps if I go get a glass of water, too. Just a little 'time out' to consult with myself and see where that is coming from - am I actually hungry and not satisfying a real need (protein, perhaps); am I bored, tired, anxious, etc.; is it just my mouth wanting something to do (crunchy stuff is over here); etc. If I can manage to pin down what's going on, I can usually find a good way to address it. Oh, and a little pinch of salt sprinkled on cooked chickpeas makes a pretty good sub for peanuts (which is another one of those things where I'll take a handful, then another, then another...)

--DebR

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I've found I have a lot more self control in the grocery store than in my pantry at 10:00 at night! So, I try just not to buy the things I will eat till they are all gone in a day or two. For me, it's wasabi peas and Mrs. May's nut clusters...yum!!!

Before when I bought treats for the kids, things like whole wheat apricot newtons or yummy rolls, I would leave them in my glass domed cake stand on the kitchen island. Then one day I decided I was just making myself nuts showcasing things I didn't want to eat. So my strategy has become to buy only things I won't binge on, and not to display treats. I also try to buy the kids treats that I'm not so crazy about.

Posted Monday, April 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I do a bit the opposite - I still buy whatever the rest of the family wants, whether it's a tasty pastry or wasabi peas (hubby likes those). And, they usually sit on the shelf in the kitchen that is right next to the almond milk containers (shelf stable until opened). I try to get the best quality I can (if the label has ingredients we don't have in our pantry, or can't get for the pantry like chemical stabilizers and such, we don't get it most of the time). Then, they have first choice at it (if there's only a little bit left, I leave it alone, it belongs to whomever, not me). They also have free rein to call me on it if they see me going for my third snack bar or another handful of peanuts or whatever. The way I figure, I will be confronted with treats of all sorts out in the 'real world' (work, family parties, potlucks, etc) so I may as well have a thought out and tested strategy. If I can handle it in my oh-so-available pantry, it's actually easier to handle when I'm out and about. Plus, if I know that I have a whole grain, no artificial stuff, cookie at home, it's easier to say no thanks to the white flour sugar hydrogenated fat things here at work.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

What good suggestions....Since I'm just starting (was a vegetarian for years), I'm not sure what my strategy will be. I am an emotional eater so even if I'm eating fruit, I'm not eating for hunger...so that's something I have to deal with on a MH level. However, I like to cook and eat at different places and find new "items" so I have some things (snacks) in the house that will peak my interest but that I won't binge on....but that's only how far I've gotten yet Smile

Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

The comments about Nutella made me laugh because, although I don't think I have many 'trigger" foods I've only purchased a jar of Nutella once in my life. The stuff must be addictive or something because I actually ended up throwing a half-used jar away (after it had been in my possession about half an hour) and I'm not one for throwing food out.

But speaking of "trigger" foods, I'm slightly confused. Are nuts always bad? (Many of the cookbooks, especially the Engine 2 Diet and Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live) use nuts and organic peanut butter. Rip Esselstyn also advocates for organic fruit newtons.) Are these foods "bad" or just higher in sugar or fat and thus just for limited consumption?

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Interesting 2 minute video about nuts and weight gain. If you search the site for "nuts", there are lots of other interesting ones as well.
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/testing-the-fat-burning-theory/

Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I don't think I'd say nuts are always bad. Walnuts and almonds in particular are very good for us, we just have to be careful not to over-do on portion (which is hard!). Same goes for things like avacados and olives.

Jennifer

Edited 04/04/13 7:35 PM
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Nuts are higher in fat. For someone like Brendan Brazier or Rip Esselstyn who need a LOT of calories in their day because they expend a great deal of energy (triathlon!!), nuts, seeds, nut butters are good options. For the rest of us sitting behind a desk, we don't need the extra calories most of the time, so it's a good idea to go easy on them.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 155 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org