21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Beans
Created on: 02/13/13 02:17 PM Views: 1230 Replies: 6
Beans
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I never used to eat beans so it is new to me. There is so many types and I try to eat some beans every day. My question is what is your favourite type of beans and in what dish? Would there be a type of beans that is healthier than others?

RE: Beans
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Oh beans!! My favorite topic!! They are all so good for you for a variety of reasons. No need to favor one over another.

Personally, I love small beans that cook quickly. I am not the most patient chef in the world. So I tend to favor red lentils (done in less than 15 minutes) and mung beans (cute little guys that cook in under 30 minutes). Neither requires soaking! And they digest easily too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You're right - there are SO many new options.

Black beans for chili or bean patties - these are our go-to, we've usually got some on hand ready to go (we cook a big batch at once then use them as needed)

Small white beans - soups and BBQ baked beans, recipes where you don't want something as visual as black beans jumping out at you

chickpeas (garbanzos) - HUMMUS! we also make a chickpea salad that's akin to tuna or egg salad (a bit higher in fat with the faux mayo or other creamy mixer - mashed avocado works well in this as a mayo sub if it will be eaten quickly, otherwise the avocado browns) - the key to hummus is HOT beans, so if we've got some chickpeas that have cooled already, we'll make a "not-tuna" salad for wraps and salads. Just whir the beans a few times in a food pro until broken but not mushed, then add whatever you like for tuna salad (celery, mustard, mayo, pickle, onion, etc) and whir until combined.

We'll throw any beans we've got handy into a stir fry or with rice and veggies or beans & rice with tomato sauce and spices (can go Italian, Tex-Mex, Asian, etc).

Red lentil soup is one of my winter favs (who knew?! Laughing ) - red lentils get soft and creamy wherer the other types tend to hold onto more firmness when cooked. Lentils and rice together work well too.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Hana wrote:

I never used to eat beans so it is new to me. There is so many types and I try to eat some beans every day. My question is what is your favourite type of beans and in what dish? Would there be a type of beans that is healthier than others?

I'm with Susan - BIG bean fan and for so many reasons. They give satiety like nothing else - that means they have carry power through the rest of the day and even affect satiation at your next meal. Full of fiber, good carbohydrate and protein, and they are so dang good!

Hard to pick on favorites. Black beans and pintos. And garbanzos are so versatile, I love them in grated veggie salads or tossed on greens, and then of course there's the hummmus. Probably most often I do as Susan does - use the lentils in soups because they cook so quickly, especially in the pressure cooker.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I have a big salad everyday and put a handful of chickpeas in that.

Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Thank you all for the tips.

I love dipping veg or pretzels into hummus and also really love the brownies made from black beans:
http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/vegan-blackbean-brownies/
YUM!

Posted Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I'm cooking up a big pot of beans every weekend (different variety of beans each week!) then I google recipes to use with that kind of bean.
For example, on black bean week we had black bean and orange salad, black bean soup, and black bean spread. Then I "keep" any especially good recipe!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 401 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org