21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Potatoes or Potato Myth
Created on: 07/10/13 09:40 PM Views: 1034 Replies: 5
Potatoes or Potato Myth
Posted Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I was a told a kid not to cook the potatoes if they were green or if they had sprouts, they were not safe to eat. Now that I am eating more of these rascals, I wonder if there is any truth to this old wives tale my family believed . I hate to toss them if they are safe to eat. Does anyone have any scientific/nutrition based facts about this? How about for sweet potatoes? Any difference in them?

RE: Potatoes or Potato Myth
Posted Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I was told that the reason that potatoes turn green is photosynthesis is taking place. Confused But a lone time ago... in the 70's we were told it was because "they" were radiating them. Confused Confused
I know you should not store potatoes in the frig as it causes the starch to... do something...??? and then they are not good for blood sugar. Can cause bigger spikes as the starch is more condensed.
And of course the worst thing you can do is to deep fry them. If the grease doesn't get you there is something that causes cancer that changes in the potato from the high temp. Also... I think that is true of baking potatoes at too high a temp. Like anything over 450 is too high.
If I have this wrong someone else chime in here. This is just what I heard.

I like them quartered, oven roasted at 350, with some mixed blend spices on them.

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I found this link regarding green on potatoes. Not sure if it answers everything.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/potatoesgreen.html

Hope it helps....

Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I leave potatoes in a paper bag, in a cool spot out of sunlight. No green

Additionally I do NOT put them in the refrigerator because that turns the lovely white potatoes to a YELLOW color when baked. I like my potatoes white.

Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thanks to all of you! The article Anita posted was interesting. I guess Granny was correct after all! Its good to know if I cut off the green & it tastes fine I got the bad stuff off.I'm lucky to have a pantry with tile floors, so all my spuds & onions are stored there in the dark.

Posted Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Spudlover wrote:

I'm lucky to have a pantry with tile floors, so all my spuds & onions are stored there in the dark.

Just an fyi...make sure to leave a good amount of space between those spuds and onions when storing them. Onions will cause the spuds to sprout faster.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 455 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org