21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Peanut Butter
Created on: 04/05/13 12:49 PM Views: 2512 Replies: 9
Peanut Butter
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

In a pinch I like to eat PB&J for lunch. In order to begin restoring my bodies metabolic burn, is this something I should avoid?

RE: Peanut Butter
Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think as long as you treat it as an infrequent treat you'll be okay. I had it every other week or so in the beginning, now, rarely, without a conscious effort. Make sure you don't overdo the spread- I kept it down to 1 tablespoon when I did eat it.

Posted Friday, April 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

If it's once a week maybe or less, then go ahead, it probably won't be that bad - provided you get the kind that is all peanut, no added oil, hydrogenated oil, sweetener, etc. If it's an everyday thing, then you'll probably want to cut it way back.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

loveyclub wrote:

In a pinch I like to eat PB&J for lunch. In order to begin restoring my bodies metabolic burn, is this something I should avoid?

Hey loveyclub,

To add to the responses, this can be a highly individual affair. Depending on your weight and health issues, some people tolerate more - or less - nut butters than others. As for myself, I could happily pour peanut sauce over every meal! But it isn't compatible with my weight management goals, so I am prudent about it.

PB/J sammies can be a great reliable source of fuel on long plane-excursions. They seem to be indestructible and I'll take them when we are flying overseas. Another option is PB2, which defats the pb so you have some flavor without the calories. Yes, it's processed, but as a small portion of calories, if it means a need, can be a fun option in your kitchen arsenal.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Thank you for the help!

On to another product I discovered while looking for a supplement to my most coveted desert, ice cream, I found something called Rice Dream. It's pretty tasty stuff, but are there any drawbacks I should be aware of?

Sincerely,
LoveyClub, Inc.

Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

yeah. it probably has more fat and sugar than you want on a regular basis. If it's a special occasion (like dinner guests or the whole family is having ice cream for dessert...) it's not terrible. There's also a coconut milk So Delicious brand 'ice cream' that is really good (I like it better than the rice based ones)

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

What about vegan "cream cheese"?

Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Check the label - make sure it is casein-free (some non-dairy cheeses still contain this dairy-based protein) and check the fat and sodium content. As with most things, balance it against your own goals - if you're looking for weight loss, you might want to cut even faux cream cheese because of the fat content; if the sodium content is high (as most faux cheeses are), and you're watching blood pressure, might need to skip it; if you exercise vigorously and often, once in a while faux cheese is probably okay.

--DebR

Posted Saturday, April 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

For "ice cream" try freezing a very ripe banana or two, then whipping it up in a good blender with a touch of nut milk to help it blend, a touch of liquid sweetener if you like, a drop or two of vanilla, maybe even a few frozen strawberries... yum!

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I am lucky enough to have saved up and purchased a Vitamix and make peanut butter at home, as well as ice cream. Frozen blueberries -from my garden - and so delish milk - that's it - evn m non vegan husband loves it as a treat- wish he liked the peanut butter, alas, he does not. Good luck! P

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 190 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org