21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Gluten-free vegan
Created on: 12/05/13 05:16 PM Views: 893 Replies: 5
Gluten-free vegan
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I've found that cutting gluten is really helping with my heat-flashes and other menapausal issues but finding vegan, gluten-free recipes is a challenge - can anyone PLEASE direct me to some good recipes?

Happy Holidays!

RE: Gluten-free vegan
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Gluten free-
Nourishing Meals: Healthy, Gluten Free Recipes for the Whole Family.
Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer

Vegetarian/Plant-Based Diet-
Forks Over Knives.

If It Makes You Healthy by Sheryl Crow.

Powerfoods by the editors of Whole Living Magazine.

It's all good by G.Paltrow

All of these are available on Amazon.

Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Question

Edited 12/08/13 8:06 PM
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Rolling Eyes

Edited 12/08/13 8:04 PM
Posted Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It can sometimes be hard to find recipes that are specifically both vegan and gluten-free. The easiest thing to do can be to make substitutions in vegan recipes.

For grain-based dishes, good gluten-free substitutions include: brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, and millet. I'm not a big fan of buckwheat, but despite its name it doesn't have wheat and it's also gluten-free.

Also, many recipes that emphasize using whole, unprocessed foods are often gluten-free (even if they're not advertised as such).

If you stick with whole foods (including the whole grains listed above), beans, lentils, fresh veggies and fruits, and nuts & seeds, you can eat very healthily (and vegan) without any gluten.

Processed foods very often include gluten, and processed "gluten-free" foods are often not very healthy (they're often filled with high-glycemic flours, devoid of much nutrition).

The trouble with gluten is that it's often hidden and can be difficult to detect even when reading labels, as there are many ingredients within processed products that either contain gluten or have been processed with gluten.

If you go to either celiac.com or celiac.ca, these websites have lists of foods that commonly contain gluten as well as lists of foods that are naturally gluten-free. You don't have to have celiac to benefit from the wealth of info on these sites (I myself suspect I have a gluten sensitivity and have found these sites to be quite useful - just don't get too sucked in to all the other articles on the sites - it can lead to lots of time-wasting, lol).

All the best with the vegan gluten-free cooking! Smile

Posted Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I've never tried to eat gluten free. I've noticed an increase of articles about gluten. I just never thought I needed too.

I always felt it might be too hard to make that change but as I learn more I know I will have to change soon. I can't eat bread the same way.

When you know better you do better.

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gluten

I found this article very informative.

Peace

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 344 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org