21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Travel
Created on: 01/14/12 01:03 PM Views: 3861 Replies: 10
Travel
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I will be staying in a hotel for 4 nkights this next week and need some ideas of foods I can prepare ahead and take with me so I wont have to eat out etc. any ideas? Thanks

RE: Travel
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

where?

i will be in philly nxt month.. by the convention center.. anyone know good resturants?

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

For food in Philly by the Convention Center: oh, you lucky person! The Reading Terminal is right across the street -- wonderful produce, great ethnic booths -- you will find tons to eat. Also, Chinatown is right up the street. Our favorite restaurant, Viet Nam, is on 11th St. Vegetarian spring rolls are excellent, but ask for dipping sauces without fish sauce. There is also a great Thai restaurant nearby, but I can't remember the name. I think there are some vegan only restaurants that have opened since I moved from there a few years ago, but I don't know how close they are. There is a great middle eastern restaurant south of South St, if you are taking cabs. There are also lots of Asian groceries with hot and cold salad bars all aroun the city. You will really have no trouble eating in Philadelphia!

As far as the foods to pack -- I have been vegan for about 2 years and I travel a lot, so I am always in the same boat. I get an insolated grocery bag and take lots of fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit), and things like pita chips & homemade hummus, bean dip & tortilla chips, mini rice cakes, bagel chips, Luna Bars, peanut butter, soy coffee creamer. If you plan to have your meals in the hotel, you might check to see if there is a microwave, and bring homemade soups and stews in preportioned containers. Hope this helps!

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

We have a "kitchen" suitcase that we always take when we're travelling. It has a kettle and some small china dishes that can go into a microwave. It also has some instant oatmeal, raisins, nutritional yeast, etc. I also make hummus and tabouli to take and bread along with some peanut butter.
I also pick up a few prepared salads, and Costco has some great prepared salads that are vegan - they are high in fat so I usually try to add some of my own beans or chick peas to spread them out with less fat.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Travel: I usually take breakfast FOR SURE. This usually means a bag of dry cereal, raisins, and little boxes of rice/soy milk. I get little boxes instead of one big box in case there is no refrigerator. You could also do oats, dried fruit, and then you only need rely on hot water. If I can gun it to a store as soon as I get out of town, I'll grab a bunch of fresh fruit, maybe some hummus (requires fridge) and bread, carrots, and if you can find it - dehydrated bean soup mix. McDougall soups are good too.

Philly: Oh yeah, very lucky. My favorite restaurant EVER is there. It's called Su Xing and is located on Sansom b/tw 15th and 16th. Must orders: peapod leaves, lotus root and peanut soup, and kung pao dried tofu. More here: http://www.suxinghouse.com/menu1.html.

Also, this place is new, so I've never been. But I loved their old restaurant: http://www.vedgerestaurant.com/.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM

oh thank you for the resturant tips!!

I am going to call ahead to see if there is a refrigerator that i can have in the room. Mostly for breakfast.. although if i buy the small things of milk i won't need it..

but hummas would be nice to have... we can do so much with it.. dipping veggies... or a sandwhich wrap..

anyway.. check to see if your hotel will give you a fridge.

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM

http://www.suxinghouse.com/menu1.html

seiously..... 35 dishes of tofu and veggies!!! around here i am lucky to get one.. that is out of the 3 resturants that serve anything i want to eat!!

kinda curious about.. Three Kind Mushroom & Black Moss fungus Soup .. then again i like mushrooms.. not tooo sure about black moss ??

what is winter melon? squash??
Winter Melon w. Black Mushroom Soup

i see they have moo shu & kung pao.. looks like an awesome resturant!! i can't wait. Thanks.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

We went to Philly 6 years ago. Before we left, I checked out restaurants at vrg.org (vegan resource group). We went to New Harmony Vegan Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown. It was within walking distance of our hotel which was near the historic sites (liberty bell, constitution museum, etc). It was very good. The menu looked like a regular Chinese menu, with sections for beef, chicken, fish, etc, but it was all vegan.

We usually travel by car and take a cooler and a food bag. I always look for a hotel with a fridge.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM

go to happy cow and type in the city you'll be in and vegan. They will give you a listing of restaurants and reviews. SO easy!

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Baked sweet potatoes cut into four wedges and then browned are good to take on trips, too.

Posted Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

HI All,
I just got back from Philly. OH my so many great resturants. My first was Susan's suggestion Su Xing. It was marvelous. Highly recommeded. I would have just been happy to eat there everyday, but my room-mate wanted to check out others...just because there were so many available.
I did go to mamas for falafel. Wow! When i got to mama's, the line was out the door. I ordered a falafel sandwich $6.00. I was full after... The next day I tried the platter $9.50 and couldn't eat it all. Silly me.
I took a sad eater with me and she said it was her best meal in philly so far.
http://mamasvegetarian.com/

The last night my room-mate really wanted to go yet another new place and let me tell you it blew every other resturant out of the water.. including my favorite so far (su-xing).. If you are ever in PHilly you really HAVE to go to the vietman place... so incrediably good!! http://vietnampalace.net/ Nice fresh food.. not deep fried (fafafel) or the normal brown sauce (su-xing). Just light, fresh and delish !!

I would def tell you to go to all 3. But if you had to choose just one.. it would be the vietnam palace. It is close to the convention center.

Also while there.. stayed at the Polamar hotel. A great choice too! They gave us free bikes. . We found a 114 mile bike trail by the water. I would have liked to explore that more.

It was a work weekend. Need to go back to see the Zoo, the library, bike that trail, the bell, the historic district, and some more great food.

Had a great time. I was very busy while there... After getting back, I slept 9.5 hours last night.- unheard of for me, but it felt good.

Edited 03/18/12 8:26 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 236 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org