21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for support
Created on: 09/03/12 09:45 AM Views: 21979 Replies: 97
RE: Looking for support
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Hi guys!

I just have to share something! I had a really really crap day yesterday, and I wanted some comfort food. I played with the thought of making a cheesy, meaty lasagna (I make the best!), but I decided against it.
It was seriously a bad day, otherwise I wouldn't even have thought of breaking the diet!

Anyway, I played around in the kitchen and made the best meal ever! Though, I did use some butter, I felt I deserved it.

So I just put a little bit of butter in my frying pan, added very thinly sliced onions and sauteed until golden and soft.
Then I added lots and lots of fresh sliced mushrooms (I looooove mushrooms) and cooked until soft.
I added vegetable stock, one tablespoon at a time instead of using more butter/oil.
Then I added soy cream, soy milk, a little corn starch for thickening and soy sour cream.
It made a creamy brown sauce. Yummy!!! Then I added one clove of garlic, fresh basil and parsley, and salt and pepper. And I had it all on a plate with pasta.

Seriously amazing! Not to brag or anything, but... Sooo god if you're having a bad day! Could probably be made with vegetable stock only and cut out butter. And I've heard you can make creamy sauces with soy milk shaken with corn starch for a creamy texture, if you wanna steer away from the soy cream (as it has like 17% fat!).

It made my day better!

How are you guys doing? Made any fun DIY's?

I made today's pasta salad yesterday for today's lunch... Soooo good! Highly recommended! I used cherry tomatoes and scallions as well, and used red wine vinegard (didn't have balsamic!).

/Nora

Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hi all,

I hope you are having a great day!

I returned from Chicago this morning and was happy to see that my weight stayed the same over the 5 day trip. Ideally, it would have been nice to have lost some weight - but staying the same is sure a lot better than gaining - which is definitely the norm when I visit my family.

I stayed vegan on the train ride home - although I did indulge in a Bloody Mary. It had been a stressful few days - and I figured a little vodka was a better choice than chocolate!

I got right off the overnight train and came to work, so I'm dragging a bit today. FOrtunately, I had some hummus and peppers and some fruit left over from the train - so plenty to eat here today.

I can't believe we are through two full weeks. I haven't been perfect - but I haven't been bad either - and I do feel my cravings have diminished.

I'm going to have to try that brown sauce and pasta Nora. It sounds wonderful!

Have a wonderful day everyone. I hope you are all doing great! Kay

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

This is such an important question. Before I learned about PCRM which is an amazing support system I joined local Vegan groups in my city using Meetup. It's an easy website to join and you can search for Vegan or Plant Based Groups in your area for support. Most groups are free but some do have fee's to help pay for the basics. I currently do a Vegan Runners Meetup, have learned how to make Seitan at another Vegan meetup and have got alot of support. You can't make your family Vegan but you can lead by example. Once they see the health changes in you and your increased energy level hopefully they will want to be more like you.

Keep up the good work you can do it!

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Thank you Maple Leaf for that great tip. I hope everyone is doing great. We are definitely in the home stretch.

I look forward to leading by example. I'm sure as people start noticing my weight loss it will lead to lots of great conversations about a plant based lifestyle.

Have a wonderful weekend all! Kay

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Awwww, you guys....! We're done!!!
How did you feel the experience went? How many pounds did you loose? And who's staying vegan?

I'm disappointed I didn't loose more weight... Only 4 pounds Sad But I have been using a little bit of oils. I bought a high-quality non-stick pan yesterday, so looking forward to lots more low-fat cooking! I don't know about the vegan part.. Maybe I wont be a strict vegan. I had a very small amount of cheese yesterday (and it was amazing!), for example. I'll keep eating lots of veggies and beans and low fat, and just take it from there.

How about you guys?

Oh and by the way... Don't wanna be "that" girl, but please click on this link and vote for me! It's for being on a cooking show with Norway's top chef Eyvind Hellstrøm! Pretty please with sugar on top? http://delta.jernia.no/konkurranse/post/6/nora-marie-ask

Lots of love!

/Nora Smile

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I signed up for the 21 day kickstart because I wanted to add more recipes and help be supportive to others just starting out. I've been Plant Strong for almost 2 years and I've lost 25lbs, and no longer have chronic pain (Migraines) and have all but eliminated my chronic sinusitis. For me I understand those that struggle with giving up dairy and "CHEESE" but trust me if you eat plant strong and give up dairy you will feel so much better. My taste-buds have reprogrammed and I don't get cravings for the old foods as much anymore. But when I do I remind myself how horrible I was and how bad my health was. So for me it's just part of my life. For those that look for weight loss....hang in....don't give up .... you will continue to lose weight but also remember that exercise is very important. I have more energy at 43 than when I was in my 20's. I suggest not being hard on yourself and just keep working at more veggies and fruit. Think of the color of the rainbow when your buying your veggies. If I can do this anyone can....this coming from a former cheeseaholic!

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Inspiring! Thank you, MapleLeaf!

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I forgot to mention that I used to have some facial acne and back acne. But two years later my skin looks fantastic. I personally believe the "skin" is an indicator of overall health. I rarely eat any foods deep fried and I work at reducing oils in my diet. It's my personal belief but if this is an issue please look at this article that explains it far better than I can....
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031100puacne.htm

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I actually have acne extremely rarely, it's completely opposite! I have atopic eczema (I think it's called that in English), so I don't have enough fat in my skin to even produce pimples.. It's not uncommon for me to have so dry skin that I practically emit dust when I undress.
However, since having bad rashes before the kickstart, it has greatly improved! It comes and goes from time to time. Sometimes I'm perfectly fine for months, others I'm just all itchy all the time. So I don't know how much of this is random or due to the diet, but maybe it does help!
I would trade my eczema for acne any day! But maybe a change in diet helps with both Smile

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM

some additional info that may be helpful http://www.livestrong.com/article/483742-the-health-benefits-of-flaxseed-oil-for-eczema/

Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Hi - I was wondering if any of you are still out there? I am going to redo the kickstart in January - but am actually going to start today. Plenty of time to cook while off for the holidays.

Please let me know if you're still on the journey - or interested in restarting. Hope 2013 is a great year for us all. Kay

Posted Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Kay-
Many of us are still here. You'll see more activity after the holidays and when the Kickstart begins. I, like you, started already. I didn't want to have to undo too much of the good I've done. I no longer think of it as a diet but a lifestyle, anyway. However, I'm dealing with the fudge, etc. that was left behind from Christmas which the nonvegans in the family are taking forever to get rid of. Very Happy Fudge should be a 4 letter word - FUDG ?? perhaps?

Deborah, dealing with it
Smile

Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Love the way you say you are dealing with the fudge. I can relate.

Laughing

I have started already as well with one exception. I am allowing myself some wine to toast the new year. After that the alcohol goes out the door as well - for as long as it takes to get rid of some of my excess weight and to be more healthy. As mentioned its a life style and my goal is to now eat this way forever and not stop and start as has been my habit in the past.

I will see you both in the next kickstart forum room.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

That is my goal too. To treat it as a lifestyle - but I'm keeping the wine around until January 1st tooSmile I have so much to look forward to in 2013 - I need to make sure my body can keep up with my schedule.

I look forward to sharing the journey! Kay

Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Oct. 2013...not sure if you as a group still exist...I became vegan after husbands stroke...am in the medical field....learning curve was 3 years...and my food addiction is STILL a challenge BUT, BUT, BUT it is sooo worth all the effort...veganism brought ALL OF OUR BLOOD LIPID NUMBERS NORMAL(husband kissed Statins goodbye!!)...lifestyle change is a remarkable new start...keep at it folks...it is all worthwhile!!!!! Laughing Laughing

Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM

That's great news! We don't have separate forums for each kickstart anymore. We post on the "Main Forum" now. Maybe you could repost there or someone might be able to move it so more of the Kickstarters will see it.

Deborah

Posted Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM

I am a food addict and hope the kickstart will change the trajectory of my life. My family will not go vegan, so I really need some support and hope there are other foodaholics out there who can use some online support too.

If we can just get through the first few days, the cravings will start to subside. I know that food keeps me in denial and that this will be a difficult transition. I am nearly 100 pounds overweight and will be 51 when this kickstart ends - it's high time I get on the path to a long and healthy retirement.

Here's to looking and feeling better in 21 days! I hope to hear from you!

Posted Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Plam1971, we don't post messages on any forums except the "Main Forum" anymore. You might want to repost your message again in the Main forum because the only members who will be likely to see it here are the few who were subscribed to this thread in 2012.

I was told "you crave what you eat" and have found it to be true. After eating a healthy diet of starches, fruits and vegetables for a short while, I find myself wanting to eat them more when I get hungry.

You might find Neal Barnard's book, "Breaking the Food Seduction" or Doug Lisle's "The Pleasure Trap" helpful in overcoming food addiction.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 646 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org