21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Getting too skinny
Created on: 02/16/13 03:10 PM Views: 1626 Replies: 5
Getting too skinny
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I know a lot people don't have this problem on this forum, but I figured I can get some advice. I'm a 58 yo male with prediabetes, I have gone on a vegan diet in order to stave off diabetes. The problem is that weight is down to 160lbs with my height of 6 ft3 in. People say that I look too skinny. Am I losing too much weight or muscle mass? Any ideas?

RE: Getting too skinny
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I heard if you were over 40 and not lifting weights, you were losing muscle mass. It doesn't say if you work out or not?

Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM

At your current weight and height, you are still at a normal, healthy body mass index (BMI), 20.0 kg/m2 to be exact (the normal range is 18.5-24.9 kg/m2).

However, if you are in what you feel like is a downward spiral of weight loss and trying to prevent getting too low, then you will need to, at the risk of oversimplifying, eat more food. For people who think they couldn't possibly eat more, I would suggest trying higher calorie foods that are easier to consume such as pure fruit juice, plant milks, dried fruits, and pasta.

With prediabetes or diabetes, you do not want to pack in those extra calories with fat, however, because you will then be setting yourself up for increased risk of insulin resistance - exactly what we're trying to avoid with these conditions.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I read about some Chicago nurses study where they proved there is no such thing as too thin. (illness-related weight loss aside of course) I think they have proved the same thing for men in some other study? I found Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live very helpful in straightening out the record what is myth and fact when it comes to nutrition. If you're always hungry that is something else, then you're not eating enough. If you feel satisfied with your meals and have plenty of energy, then you're getting enough calories... maybe you just have a slim build (you can always work out to build muscle mass like you said Smile) or maybe people just get used to seeing you and others looking overweight and think it is normal. I am also slim (female with bmi 18.5) and I get so fed up of people making negative comments about celebrities who they think look too thin... yes there are unhealthy ways to lose weight and there is also such a thing as anorexia but if you're eating a healthy diet and eating more than salad when you're hungry then you do not fall into those categories!
And if you want to beat the diabetes then keep up the healthy diet and trust your weight to stabilize where it needs to be!

Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

beatrice30 wrote:

yes there are unhealthy ways to lose weight and there is also such a thing as anorexia but if you're eating a healthy diet and eating more than salad when you're hungry then you do not fall into those categories!

I often eat just a sald for a meal when I'm hungry.

But most people are shocked at the size of my salad. Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM

No offense to salad-eaters! I eat salad too! Just trying to point out that it is possible to be eating lots of food but not enough calories.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 352 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org