21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Excellent Movie about GMO
Created on: 10/22/12 04:26 PM Views: 3101 Replies: 14
Excellent Movie about GMO
Posted Monday, October 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Here's an excellent movie that's free to watch before October 31st. http://geneticroulettemovie.com/
I am so glad I watched it.

I didn't realize what an impact GMO foods have on people and didn't know much about it before this movie. I am shocked!

Any thoughts?

RE: Excellent Movie about GMO
Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Well I don't need to watch that movie to know that I don't trust Big GM. Just the fact that they're fighting the labelling so hard tells me they've got something to hide.

Of course, people usually find it ironic that I avoid GMO's. What with me looking like a gene manipulated hybrid of Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Perhaps with a bit of Orlando Bloom's DNA inserted for good measure. But the fact is I do avoid them.

What they need to do is take that technology and do something positive with it. Truly positive. Like cloning Dr Barnard for instance. Or creating an oil-resistant strain of kale. So that when a chef tries to pour oil on it, the oil just flies backward into his face, or something. Until then, I'm not interested.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Theodore you always crack me up.

I've watched this movie, it is VERY informative. I've always known to avoid GMO's but this movie revealed things I did not know. It's scarier than I ever thought.

Vikki ~

Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Haven't (yet) watched it but the thing that bugs me about the GMO fight (and others) is that it is so un-nuanced. Making grain that can handle being sprayed by a ton of chemicals and survive, yeah, SO not good. Using technology to cross two types of things that normally wouldn't mix, nope. But, using the same technology to speed up what could be done manually by cross breeding similar types to create a usable hybrid but would take years to get a result, that makes more sense. Crossing a strain of rice with a high yield but low saline threshhold with one that has an average yield and a higher saline threshhold to provide seed for areas that are even more frequently subjected to sea water flooding, is not a terribly bad thing.
--DebR

Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Thanks for the chuckle, Theodore.

I have not watched it yet either, but I will. I was talking to someone whose son is majoring in chemical engineering, and would like to work for GM. My first thought was that food and chemicals should not go together.

Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

OK Vikki and Loveheart. As long as you know I was serious about the Brad Pitt/George Clooney thing.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Hey all,
Did you get a chance to watch the movie? What did you think?

Did you see that corn is on the list?
Does this mean we should stop eating corn?

Convenience stores are full of food made with soy protein isolate, corn oil, high fructose corn syrup, soy lecithin, etc. I will think twice now, and keep bringing my own snacks...making black bean brownies today.

I saw tamari listed and said to myself, OMG! but then I saw the non-GMO certified label on the bottle I have in the refrigerator. Yea!

What about zucchini? are you still going to eat zucchini? is all zucchini GMO?

Edited 10/27/12 3:17 PM
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Thanks for the info about the movie; I really enjoyed watching it. I sent the link to all my kids.

Posted Monday, October 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I'm with Kucinich:

http://www.newstalkflorida.com/congressman-kucinichs-speech-demanding-gmo-labeling-elizabeth-dougherty-food-nation-radio-network-audio/

Just edited the link. Is that any better ?

Wash your back

Edited 10/30/12 1:32 PM
Posted Thursday, November 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Thank you DebB, Vikki, Bugsmom, Loveheart, and Theodore for your thoughts. Thanks Theodore for editing the link.

In California, Proposition 37, a Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Food Initiative, is on the November 6, 2012 ballot. That's next week!

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM

From the results I read, the initiative for GMO labeling was defeated in California.

Edited 11/07/12 7:34 AM
Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

veganer wrote:

From the results I read, the initiative for GMO labeling was defeated in California.

Ouch.

Here's an interesting news story I found:

http://www.theonion.com/video/ear-of-genetically-modified-corn-begs-for-death,19344/

Wash your back

Posted Friday, November 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Theodore.

Yesterday someone wanted to talk about the Tuesday voting and I told her about the GMO labeling Proposition being defeated in California and she replied, "What's GMO?"

Posted Friday, November 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Apparently a lot of people don't wanna know.

They don't wanna know what it is, and they don't wanna know if it's in their food. And they'll travel to the ballot box in droves in order to vote for their right not to know.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Good point Theodore.

I just noticed that a local supermarket has non-GMO labelled tofu.

Buying non-GMO labelled food is like voting for more food to be non-GMO labelled.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 564 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org