21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: sugar-free things and why the stomach issues
Created on: 07/16/13 12:13 PM Views: 1089 Replies: 4
sugar-free things and why the stomach issues
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM

hi all, sorry 'm behind on messages and more thorough updates - will do later this evening it's a hectic week!!

i'd really love/appreciate more information on this. Went to an OA meeting where I guess a lot of people justify the artificial sugars due to diabetes, lady came up to me and actually was telling me how irresponsible and how much damage i was doing to myself by having the 'real' sugar. as you may know the OA meetings are 12-step philosophy oriented. she was like, 'well i got over my addiction through splenda and nutrasweet and...' i don't even REMEMBER the names of them. oh stevia? agave? anyway.

i think i'm getting confused and now i wonder if there is benefit after all to splenda, but i don't want to use this meeting, this random lady and lack of articles / actual, um...'good' or trustworthy info to justify dumping packets of splenda in everything. if anyone could kindly give me more information, articles, links, and is it wrong, pls tell me, to consume sugar? i mean hey if i'm still trying to gain some weight, i think it's okay to have sugar the real thing and not freak out over every teaspoon, right? is there any information for the nutrient info in sugar...any minerals, or good things? is that just brown sugar? i'm scared to start over-using sugar-free things as a purgative. why do sugar-free items have that effect?

RE: sugar-free things and why the stomach issues
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I think that every manufactured item we ingest can be dangerous. Sad
If it has more than one ingredient it is not a whole food.
Some of the natural "sugers" are not good for some people. I just read that Agave is not all it is cracked up to be. The article I read said it was not True Agave unless it listed the cactus on the label. ???
But the best way to get away from sweeteners of any kind is eating fruit. That will kick the habit quicker than anything. And the added benefit is the fiber that is in fruit.
Good luck. I know how hard it is to get away from sugar but you can do it!!

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

We need to rethink what we consider healthy food or even what is food. So many manufacturers of food do not consider nutrition to be a part our food supply. Sugar is a inexpensive calorie booster.

Like processed fat, which we know isn't good for us. Processed sugar is the same. Personally I try to stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I even limit my "sugar" to more natural forms. Pureed fruit, date palm sugar, stevia, agave, even honey on occasion. And never over do it because I am addicted to pure sugar. And you know what I'm talking about; even a little bit and the addiction wants to know how to get more even the fake sweetener still serves the addiction.

I just refuse to be brainwashed by corporations that cater to our hardwired brains for sugar, salt and fats. I think of the food manufacturers having the same business model as the cigarette companies. Food is just a delivery system for fats, salt, sugar and maybe some reconstituted nutrients. They want us addicted to the genetically modified, overly processed, nutrient deficient, calorie boosted food.

Whole food diet is the only way to go. We are from the earth. Our bodies recognize natural foods of the earth. Give up sugar and your body will adjust, happily and will thank you by giving you abundant health.

If you are scientifically minded. This is the best lecture and explanation on sugar I've seen. I helped me become strong in my convictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I hope this helps....

Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

anita wrote:

We need to rethink what we consider healthy food or even what is food. So many manufacturers of food do not consider nutrition to be a part our food supply. Sugar is a inexpensive calorie booster.

Like processed fat, which we know isn't good for us. Processed sugar is the same. Personally I try to stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I even limit my "sugar" to more natural forms. Pureed fruit, date palm sugar, stevia, agave, even honey on occasion. And never over do it because I am addicted to pure sugar. And you know what I'm talking about; even a little bit and the addiction wants to know how to get more even the fake sweetener still serves the addiction.

I just refuse to be brainwashed by corporations that cater to our hardwired brains for sugar, salt and fats. I think of the food manufacturers having the same business model as the cigarette companies. Food is just a delivery system for fats, salt, sugar and maybe some reconstituted nutrients. They want us addicted to the genetically modified, overly processed, nutrient deficient, calorie boosted food.

Whole food diet is the only way to go. We are from the earth. Our bodies recognize natural foods of the earth. Give up sugar and your body will adjust, happily and will thank you by giving you abundant health.

If you are scientifically minded. This is the best lecture and explanation on sugar I've seen. I helped me become strong in my convictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I hope this helps....

Here here!!

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

It's really easy for me to stay away from artificial sweeteners (I'm type 2 diabetic) - I get major headaches (close to migraine type) from most; digestive trouble from sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, anything ending in -itol). I do need to be careful with dried fruit - concentrated sugar there. But, I'd rather use raw sugar, raw dark agave (processed at under 118 degrees),or dark amber maple syrup for sweetener and keep an eye on what it is I'm eating (one little portion or six?!) than be able to eat a whole bunch of something with artificial sweetener. I have a friend who invited us over to dinner one time and she, generously and with good intentions, bought a sugar free apple pie for dessert (after serving while flour spaghetti and commercial, sweetened, pasta sauce). My personal issues aside as far as artificial sweeteners, what about the REST of the ingredients - white flour, shortening, preservatives, etc.? I'm better off with whole wheat and a little real sweetener than a sugar free pie that is full of non-nutritive "stuff".

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 148 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: lololatte

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org