21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome!
Created on: 12/29/12 09:12 AM Views: 11925 Replies: 75
Welcome!
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Welcome everyone to the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart! This forum is a great place to post your questions, concerns, challenges, and successes! There are lots of us monitoring the posts and jumping in to help, including nutrition staff at PCRM, regular Kickstarters, and newcomers. We're all here for each other.

Cheers to a happy and healthful 2013!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Welcome!
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hi Susan and others,

I am glad to be back doing a kickstart. Its a great way to start off the New Year.

Happy New Year to all.
Christine

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hi Susan,

This is my second attempt at a vegan diet. The first time was April 2011. I loved eating this way, felt good, had great energy BUT...... My 280 total cholesterol, 190 bad LDL stayed exactly the same after 9 weeks on the diet. I was discouraged and quit the vegan diet. On the other hand, I have tried low carbing twice and both times lost significant weight and my bloodwork came back with a below 200 total. 150 ldl and 68 HDL. THis past year, my cardiologist said whatever I was doing was working and stay low carb because it works for me.
Please help me. I am trying vegan again because I LIKE IT. IT makes me feel good, but I would feel better if I saw an improvement in my numbers. Any advice?? I am a 62 year old male, work out, currently weigh 215 at 6' 1"

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I don't know your individual story, of course, but my first thought is trouble shooting where most people may mis-step with a vegan diet. They get the vegan part down great but perhaps don't do so well with the low-fat part.

Getting dietary cholesterol (animal products) out of your diet is important for improving your cholesterol numbers, but truthfully, saturated fat intake is far more detrimental to your cholesterol numbers than dietary cholesterol itself.

Saturated fat is mostly found in animal products (dairy products are the number one source for Americans), but it is found in plants too. Oils and other processed foods like baked goods (even vegan ones!) are going to have significant levels of saturated fat and should be eliminated as much as possible.

Try sticking to a mostly whole foods, plant-based diet. Lots of beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Such a plan will not only improve your cholesterol numbers and weight, but it will support less risk for cancer and other chronic diseases. This is something low-carb dieting cannot provide - a totally holistic health picture.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Hello all. This is not my first time signing up for the Kickstart, but it is my first time actually following through with it. I am excited and ready to change my life by changing my diet and perspective. Good luck to all of us!!

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hi, everyone, and Happy Holidays! I think this is no.4 for me, but I have never been 100% compliant. That is my goal for this kickstart! For those of you that are new, this is a wonderful place to come for questions, ideas, product info, and encouragement. It is an extremely open, non-judgemental, and just fun, forum, that is run by some of the best in the business! Very Happy

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your quick response. I'll give it another try and let you know how it goes and what my numbers are when I have my physical in April. Keep up the great work you do.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Thank you Susan, this is my first time attemping the Vegan Lifestyle. I've been a vegetarian going on 8 years. I am very excited about this site. I've posted 1 question so far and received very helpful info.

Meady

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM

This is my second attempt at the Kickstart but not at being vegan, that I have been for just over 4 years now...

I mainly struggle with concentrating on Wholefoods as I am a bit prone to picking up convienience foods instead...

Had my oatmeal, feeling good... Happy New Year/Kickstart everyone!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM

This will be my first attempt at going Vegan! I watched a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" on Dec 16 the following day I went to Costco and bought the Vitamix and have been doing Green smoothies and have been weening my hubby and I over to plant based whole food eating! I have lost 15lbs and hubby 5 it's been the quickest weight loss I have ever experienced! I still have about 50+ more to go but, my main goal is to get hubby and I off the handful of medications that we take!
I am here by the Grace of God! I have been on life support twice due to congestive heart failure and pulmonary fibrosis and 5 other close calls including end stage renal failure and numerous hospital visits each year since 2001!
I am taking back my health in 2013! Due to years of steroids for my lungs which took there toll on my body adding 80 lbs, diabetes, AVN (bone death) which I have had a hip replaced and and ankle joint fusion I have already seen improvement in the last 3 weeks and have been able to reduce the amount of morphine I take for the pain, this past week I have not taken any which is fantastic especially for my kidneys! My blood sugars have been dropping as well! And my energy levels have increased! I can see that this change in eating is only going to improve my health and my hubby's for the better! I can't wait to see the results of my blood work in Feb!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Harleymum....I love that you say you are taking back your health in 2013! You go girl!!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Harleymum....I love that you say you are taking back your health in 2013! You go girl!!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Harleymom,

You are an inspiration for others. May your health continue to improve on this journey - I believe it will. As you show it is never too late to take control. Kris Carr one of the guest celebrities for the kickstart is a great example of that and it is worth checking out her story if you are not aware of what she went through with her cancer diagnosis before deciding to take control of her health. Seeing what she has done since - amazing....

For another interesting movie have you seen "fat, sick and nearly dead". You can see it for free online at www.hulu.com/watch/289122 if you live in the USA. The website has green smoothie recipes http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

I am so grateful for Dr's Barnard, McDougall, Furhman, Campbell and others who are spending their lives giving us this health information so we can all take control and reap the benefit. My local doctor is a good guy and tries but he works in the sickness industry, not the health industry. There is a big difference Very Happy

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I have a question? Can Splenda or other sweeteners be used? For example in oatmeal banana bites.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I have a question? Can Splenda or other sweeteners be used? For example in oatmeal banana bites.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

The Kickstart does not exclude artificial sweeteners. I would consider cutting back on them, however. They tend to artificially heighten your cravings for sweet things which can make eating healthy more challenging!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Hi everyone
Just want to say how excited I am to begin this journey with you and get to know you all! This is my first time to try life as a vegan and i am really looking forward to it!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Hi everyone
Just want to say how excited I am to begin this journey with you and get to know you all! This is my first time to try life as a vegan and i am really looking forward to it!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hello everyone

I am really excited about the kickstart. So far I have cooked some of the recipes on the site and my family praised my cooking! Unheard of whenever I would try out health foods before. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. what is considered low-fat? I am on the thin side and breastfeeding. I have trouble maintaining a healthy weight while breastfeeding. Is a low-fat diet healthy for me too?

2. Some of the recipes on the site appear to use refined grains as well as the suggestions for eating out (ie pizza or pasta). Am I to understand that some use of refined grains is ok? What would be a good ratio of whole grain: refined grains to aim for?

Thanks for your answer, I am just trying to understand the rules for the next 21 days. Smile

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hello everyone

I am really excited about the kickstart. So far I have cooked some of the recipes on the site and my family praised my cooking! Unheard of whenever I would try out health foods before. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. what is considered low-fat? I am on the thin side and breastfeeding. I have trouble maintaining a healthy weight while breastfeeding. Is a low-fat diet healthy for me too?

2. Some of the recipes on the site appear to use refined grains as well as the suggestions for eating out (ie pizza or pasta). Am I to understand that some use of refined grains is ok? What would be a good ratio of whole grain: refined grains to aim for?

Thanks for your answer, I am just trying to understand the rules for the next 21 days. Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 171 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org